ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

My Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy AM Broadcast Coils

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

My Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy AM Broadcast Coils  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy AM Broadcast Coils    My Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy AM Broadcast Coils  I_icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2019, 3:22 pm

Psundstrom58,
I wonder how your radio project turned out? I meant to send a post about it at the time. Well, does your set have individual coils for the (4) bands? That is, does it have (4) antenna coils and (4) oscillator coils for the 6K8 converter stage? Some of these sets had all the antenna coils for the various bands wound on one long coil form. Same for the oscillator coils as well so that is why I ask. They did this to save money on low cost beginner sets. If it has individual antenna coils then you could use just about any broadcast band antenna coil from a parts set as a replacement that will fit. It sounds like that is the case from you posting. Replacement antenna coils that have an adjustable iron or ferrite core are especially good replacements as you can dial those in to track well with the tuning capacitor and the 6K8 oscillator stage in your set. 

The alignment procedure for the new antenna coil will be to adjust the core in it (if present) at the low end of the BC band (600 kHz) and the antenna trimmer for the BC band at the high end (1400 kHz). The trimmer capacitor may be part of a row of (4) such adjustable mica capacitors. You'll need a signal generator or you could tune around for a BC station of approximately these frequencies for the signal source. The signal generator is preferred as the receiver's sensitivity may be way down at first with the new antenna coil in place. Adjust the coil and trimmer for maximum output at these (2) frequencies. Then repeat this procedure a few times until you can't get any more improvement in output.

New antenna coils can be bought from Antique Electronic Supply for the broadcast band. eBay seller listings will be another source for NOS Miller, Meissner, Merit and other coil manufacturer's antenna coils. Of course, you could look around for a parts set as well. I am thinking that the coils out of a Hallicrafters S-38 might be suitable as it is a similar set to the S-19R. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

PostSubject: Re: My Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy AM Broadcast Coils    My Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy AM Broadcast Coils  I_icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2018, 6:32 am

I need to back up a minute and make a correction in my previous post.  Embarassed   I was thinking of the Skybuddy S119 which is a regenerative set.  The Skybuddy S19R is not.  So some coils may interchange with other Hallicrafters sets. You would need to look at sets which have the same frequency ranges/per switch setting as your S19R for starters.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy AM Broadcast Coils    My Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy AM Broadcast Coils  I_icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2018, 7:45 pm

This is a link to the Schematic. but because I am not technically oriented it is greek to me.
Because I am a new member I could post the Link for the schematic.
Schematic→ 
I had sent the set out for a recap and the technician told me that the AM Antenna Coils were fried and
it would be costly to rewind.  So I thought I might be able to locate the coils and also thought that the
coils could be used on other sets..  I can keep my eyes open for another set; but with the cost of shipping I think that I would have more into it than it is worth.  Unless someone has the coils and is
willing to part with them I will probably have to just wait until next year when for another hamlets in my area to see if one of these comes up. I have other sets to DX with in the meantime.
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

PostSubject: Re: My Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy AM Broadcast Coils    My Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy AM Broadcast Coils  I_icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2018, 6:15 pm

I believe the coils are different.  If I remember correctly, the Skybuddy was a regenerative set.  A look at a schematic should shed some light,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: My Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy AM Broadcast Coils    My Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy AM Broadcast Coils  I_icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2018, 4:20 pm

I have acquired a Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy that was apparently pretty close to a 
lightning hit and it fried the AM broadcast antenna coils.  I am wondering if another
Hallicrafter set might use the same type of Broadcast antenna coils so I could continue
the repair of this unit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy AM Broadcast Coils    My Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy AM Broadcast Coils  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Hallicrafter S-19R Skybuddy AM Broadcast Coils
Page 1 of 1