ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Repair tip: IFT's & Coils

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Repair tip: IFT's & Coils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repair tip: IFT's & Coils   Repair tip: IFT's & Coils I_icon_minitimeApril 28th 2014, 6:28 pm

I don't think there is a "standard" size, that I know of.
I usually use a micrometer to try to match. One can typically go a bit larger- and maybe have to add a few turns, but certainly not smaller, due to resistance/ impedence in the design- and current flow thru the IFT/coil.
I have added a few turns with a slightly larger wire, and it has worked for me OK. Someone elses' experience may differ.
Now on TV IFT's and traps, especially in the video ckt. the wire may be a larger gauge that radio IFT's. This is based on what I have seen in working on TV sets over the last few decades.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Repair tip: IFT's & Coils   Repair tip: IFT's & Coils I_icon_minitimeApril 28th 2014, 3:26 pm

Intermediate Frequency Transformers and Radio Frequency Coils and Oscillator coils do have very fine gage (or Gauge) wires, and one of the problems is corrosion at the terminal connections. It might be just a matter of adding a tiny length of wire on to the end to make a suitable patch. Of course if the wire is abraded on the coil then you may have to unwind several layers to get to the defect. Those are good tips Frank, Thanks

On a parallel subject what are the most common wire sizes for I.F. transformers? I don't have a wire gage that I can use, so if the wire size visually looks close can it be used without too much of a problem?

FrankB

PostSubject: Repair tip: IFT's & Coils   Repair tip: IFT's & Coils I_icon_minitimeApril 28th 2014, 3:01 pm

Well, you finally decided to repair that hanger queen in your shop.
Oh! Your IF transformer or osc coil is open and the wire is so badly corroded or "mousified" you can't repair the break? (YES! You CAN rewind IFT's and they will usually work, even if your windings are not the neatest. Just remember to re-align the set. Most folks don't want to make the attempt though, as it takes a bit of time).
No problem!
A great source for very small gauge wire for IFT's and coils are old relay coils.
Many different gauges of wire available on them, and usually enough to rewind an IFT or coil too.
They go dirt cheap at hamfests in the free or junk box assortments.
Also don't overlook the primary of open/ shorted audio transformers. You can usually get enoough wire off of one of those to make several repairs or coils.
Don't forget the horiz. osc. & linearity, and convergence coils for the old TV sets too, both B&W and color.
Yokes and degaussing coils are a good source of larger wire, but be sure its really copper instead of aluminum.
They are using a lot of aluminum on the newer sets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Repair tip: IFT's & Coils   Repair tip: IFT's & Coils I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Repair tip: IFT's & Coils
Page 1 of 1