ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Noisy Varicon Cap solutions.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pbpp
Beginning Member

Noisy Varicon Cap solutions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noisy Varicon Cap solutions.   Noisy Varicon Cap solutions. I_icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2020, 10:46 pm

Cliff, 

Those variable capacitors sell for about $2/each on eBay.  I have at least four new ones in my parts box.  

You can also cannibalize one from a CHEAP transistor radio.  The part number on the back should be PVC-2.

Cheers, 
Mitch
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Noisy Varicon Cap solutions. Empty
PostSubject: Noisy Varicon Cap solutions.   Noisy Varicon Cap solutions. I_icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2020, 10:21 am

I have several Transistor radios that have noisy Tuners when trying to select a Station.
Frank Suggested I replace the Varicaps, but I have looked to find a replacement for one in particular. Emerson model 31P51 Car Totable.
Haven't obtained a nonobtainum Schematic or Parts list. Sad 

So I started searching for Repair YouTube Videos.

Heres a really corroded Varicap that took a lot of time without destroying it. I was amazed. He has a ton of repair videos, so I have subscribed to His Channel. So if want solutions on Transistor radio problems this is the guy that tackles them all.

Take a look. Its quite lengthy. Around 38 minutes (He has a good clear video- A little bit of fan noise in the background but that's being picky on my part)

Noisy Varicon Cap solutions.
Page 1 of 1