ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
atwaterkent
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats?   Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats? I_icon_minitimeMay 12th 2020, 4:47 pm

Thanks for the info. Maybe Globe Electric added them for a "bragging point" in their advertising.
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats?   Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats? I_icon_minitimeMay 12th 2020, 12:03 pm

No, I have not seen filament verniers on "factory" sets.

IMHO that would create a set specific for DX work, something that would be a niche market for manufactures. At most would be a separate rheostat for the filament.  FWIR, some manufactures used the Bradleyohm filament rheostat. That is a carbon pile compression device so infinite variability is possible. I think that reviewing the archive, American Radio History for Bradleyohm may reveal ads that report the use of the product by an OEM... I know that Thordarson did this with their transformers...

Any receiver with DX in their model name for example Federal DX, I have not looked at that receiver but it is likely to have such a vernier rheostat...

Discussion of detectors in general took place in the early 20's magazines, the ARH search may work but only downloading and scanning the articles may work. If there is a an article there may be a radio advertised to take advantage of the readers curiosity...

I have a Cutler-Hammer vernier rheostat, I also think there was a Yaxley.

If your really want some images I can pull the box of filament rheostats and take pictures  for your archive...

The real fun would be building a set that uses one and actually see it perform. I would think it would be with a gas detector...

YMMV

Chas
Back to top Go down
atwaterkent
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats?   Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats? I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2020, 6:52 pm

Have you ever seen them on a manufactured (brand name) radio?
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats?   Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats? I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2020, 10:33 am

FWIR there is a couple of homebrew battery sets in my collection with the fine adjustment of the filament rheostat on the detector. I have a couple of these rheostats in the parts stash. In fact, picked up two more of these vernier rheostats this past fall. Very novel methods to get such fine resolution. Imagine a DX radio fan of 100 years ago tweaking the detector ever so carefully to get the Opera from NYC or the stock market reports in the mid-west, corn futures. Essential entertainment and important financial news. Such fine controls are useless in a radio that does not have the refinements to make these adjustments practical. Like infinitely adjustable panel mounted grid leaks and power supplies with adjustable detector voltages.

YMMV

Chas
Back to top Go down
atwaterkent
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats?   Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats? I_icon_minitimeMay 9th 2020, 6:15 pm

I recently picked up a Globe Electric Co. model 815 battery radio. Its the first radio I've seen with what looks like fine adjustment controls on the rheostats. Is that what they are? I haven't found a schematic for the radio yet.

Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats? Duodyn12
Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats? Duodyn13
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats?   Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery Radio with "fine adjust" on the rheostats?
Page 1 of 1