ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

DIY Isolated Variable AC Supply

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

DIY Isolated Variable  AC Supply Empty
PostSubject: DIY Isolated Variable AC Supply   DIY Isolated Variable  AC Supply I_icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2020, 5:04 pm

I needed a gift for my best friend for Xmas one year. He was just getting into radio repair and collecting radios.
 He admired my bench unit I built so I made him a similar one.

It had  an isolation transformer, 2.5 A Variac (tm,),  both sides of AC line input fused, an AC ammeter and Voltmeter, and fused outputs connected to a standard AC socket.
 I also added  a switch to either isolate, or connect directly to the AC line which ran to a standard duplex socket.

This transformer had 2 ea.  115V primaries, as it would handle 115v or 220 v input, and secondaries for 6.3 and 5.2 volts.

I used one of the primaries as the isolation transformer.

I added a bridge rectifier setup that could be switched in and went to fused binding posts, and added binding posts for the 6.3 v and 5.2 v.

So all in one nice sized, but heavy case, he could run up the radios to test them while metering the voltage & current. Also the addition of the bridge setup allowed him to sub in B+ voltages, and had the filament voltages available for subbing or experimenting.

I built this all in a 19" x 10" rack cabinet from hamfair purchases over the years.( I LOVE my junkbox).  The meters were analog, and came from the hamfairs also. It took a while to construct and get everything in the cabinet, but it was well worth it.
Back to top Go down

DIY Isolated Variable AC Supply
Page 1 of 1