ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Dead freezer

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Dead freezer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead freezer   Dead freezer I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2020, 5:16 pm

Homeowners for me is a 500.00 deductible. About the cost of what I lost, and more hassle.
Don't need that right now.
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

Dead freezer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead freezer   Dead freezer I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2020, 4:17 pm

Frank,

I am sorry to hear that.

Only 5 years and corrosion? What a ...

Have you tried an appeal in Freecycle? Craigs List?

Home owners insurance cover some of the loss?

Chas
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

Dead freezer Empty
PostSubject: Dead freezer   Dead freezer I_icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2020, 11:27 pm

Well, my 5 yr old freezer died. Lost everything in it. 23. something cu ft Ftttttttttt! 70 + gallons of food to the dump. (That's 2 big garbage cans+ full for the math impaired). It was 95 deg. F in the kitchen and outside the day it died too. What a mess!!!

As of Sept 2020, home freezers are non-existent to buy for home use. (Covid shut down production was what I was told. What was available went up a minimum of $2000.00 +. Even fridges are now 2K+). Hi end is all I can find in those locally.

I found mine had corroded thru a line, letting the coolant out and frying the motor.

Best effort is to find someone with a used freezer. I did find a small (originally Costco) freezer from a business that the owner had sold and kept the freezer. He found a better one and I got this one.

A true life saver!!

I debated on seeing if a new motor and such would fix it, but the last 3X after paying $90.00 per unit only to be told "It's not repairable", I said screw it. The local hi priced servicemen cost me too much even when I had 2 units fail at once, and he looked at both, charging 90.00 each. Priced themselves out of repair jobs!
 I guessed if it was fixable, the motor, ( If even available), refrigerant and labor would cost as much or more than a new one.

I am given to understand commercial sized ones can be had but really big $$$$$. Still debating that option, as commercial ones are built with service in mind. (Think grocery store size freezers).

Last edited by FrankB on September 4th 2020, 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dead freezer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead freezer   Dead freezer I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dead freezer
Page 1 of 1