ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

RF Generator, AKA Low Power Transmitter

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

RF Generator, AKA Low Power Transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Re: RF Generator, AKA Low Power Transmitter   RF Generator, AKA Low Power Transmitter I_icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2022, 8:49 pm

One other point about service-grade generators using tubes - they are almost all incapable of modulation above about 30%. That is a limitation of the directly-modulated oscillator. Above that point envelope distortion and incidental FM modulation both increase markedly. IMHO, as one with more than 50 years experience in broadcasting and more than 40 years as a Chief Engineer, only lab-grade signal generators make truly decent low power transmitters.

Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: Re: RF Generator, AKA Low Power Transmitter   RF Generator, AKA Low Power Transmitter I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2021, 2:05 pm

Most service-grade generators, even if capable of external modulation, may have excessive envelope distortion (audio distortion in the modulating waveform). You might need a better grade of generator. My General Radio Type 805-C Standard Signal Generator has specifications comparable to an AM broadcast transmitter, but at 117.5 ponds it is not portable.

Dale H. Cook, Retired Chief Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: RF Generator, AKA Low Power Transmitter   RF Generator, AKA Low Power Transmitter I_icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2021, 10:01 pm

I needed a low power transmitter to show a customer that an old AM/SW radio worked.
 (Most are not impressed with just a tone to prove it works, and the shop I worked at had horrible AM & SW reception).

Well, look at your old RF Signal Generator. Many have a pair of jacks on the front labelled "Modulation".

Just run a tape recorder line level output into there, turn the generator on, and VIOLA! instant low power transmitter. (Just keep the output level below 100 MW. )

I found that having tapes of the old time radio programs, swing music, serials, etc. would show the customer that it works just fine.
  Most were so fascinated by the old programs on "Gramps" radio, they never quibbled about the price, and it is cool to set up at home to listen to the old programs on your antique radio. 

The best thing is you can tune the output of the signal generator to any frequency of AM that you want that is "clear", including the SW bands.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RF Generator, AKA Low Power Transmitter   RF Generator, AKA Low Power Transmitter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RF Generator, AKA Low Power Transmitter
Page 1 of 1