ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Auto radio vibrator

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

Auto radio vibrator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto radio vibrator   Auto radio vibrator I_icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2023, 8:21 am

The buffer should not cut down primary voltage to exactly half.  Plus, if it was shorted enough or leaky enough to pull down voltage, it would take out the fuse.  I wonder if the vibrator itself might be a part of the problem.

Visit us at "classichificare.com"
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Auto radio vibrator   Auto radio vibrator I_icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2023, 8:56 pm

Did you replace the buffer capacitor?
How about the filter caps?
Either or both can suck the voltage down.

Remember synchronous vibrators concert to DC and no rectifier is required.
Back to top Go down
wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Auto radio vibrator   Auto radio vibrator I_icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2023, 2:50 pm

The only suggestion I might offer is this.  Are you measuring AC with a DC meter or vice versa?  Synchronous vibrators aren't the easiest components to troubleshoot, at least for me.  Do you have the schematic for the radio?  Do the voltages you measure match those given in the drawing?

Visit us at "classichificare.com"
Back to top Go down
Cdrake
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Auto radio vibrator   Auto radio vibrator I_icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2023, 2:52 pm

In retoring my 6V Buick Super Sonomatic auto radio, I have evaluated several synchronous vibrators with little success; when I connect the vibrator(s) to a power source (whether car battery or bench power supply), my appox. 6.5 volts becomes about 3.5Vs!

In my reading, I haven't found anything regarding what must be the problem-high internal resistance. Why else would I lose half the voltage?

I understand that there is probably nothing I can do here; most likely, I will replace the mechanical vibrator with a solid state unit, available from Peko. I just want better understanding ;
surely, this can't be a normal state?

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
CD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Auto radio vibrator   Auto radio vibrator I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Auto radio vibrator
Page 1 of 1