ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Mystery Emerson Radio

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dtbradio
Beginning Member

Mystery Emerson Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery Emerson Radio   Mystery Emerson Radio I_icon_minitimeMay 11th 2024, 7:16 am

Thank you for your reply. After a much closer inspection of the radio and some lengthy discussion on another forum, what we think I have is a 556 cabinet which had its tuning indicator swapped out with one from an AM-only Emerson 4-knob cabinet, along with a chassis swap-out. It looks like I am the (proud?) owner of the very rare Emerson 556 Franken-radio.Cliff Jones wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The F.M. section is only on the radio with miniature tubes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Emerson Radio   Mystery Emerson Radio I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2024, 12:04 pm

The F.M. section is only on the radio with miniature tubes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Beginning Member

PostSubject: Mystery Emerson Radio   Mystery Emerson Radio I_icon_minitimeMay 4th 2024, 10:41 am

Hello All!

I'm brand-new to the forum, and looking forward to participating. 

For my first post, I have a radio that I picked up for a few bucks at a local flea market. It is branded as "Emerson Radio and Phonograph Corporation, and the model tag on the bottom of the chassis reads "Model 556 Series B", rated at 105-125 Volts AC/DC, with a 35-watt draw. The front of the chassis has four controls: Volume, tone, a rotary switch labeled AM-FM which turns the power on but has only on and off positions, and the tuner knob. The tuning indicator only shows AM frequency numbers, not FM. I tried to find a schematic, but the only one I found that claims to be for an Emerson 556 shows both AM and FM circuits, and shows one less tube than my chassis has. I tested the radio through a variac and it actually works beautifully, but as an AM radio with no FM. I pulled the chassis from the cabinet and confirmed that the on-off switch was indeed just on-off - only two contacts seen on that switch. I'm stumped! Did someone put an AM-only chassis in this AM/FM-labeled cabinet, or is this some kind of rare factory mistake or oddity?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Emerson Radio   Mystery Emerson Radio I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mystery Emerson Radio
Page 1 of 1