ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

What to do with old radio?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

What to do with old radio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to do with old radio?   What to do with old radio? I_icon_minitimeJune 22nd 2018, 10:06 pm

Hi atwater. This is an old thread and my mother in law passed away about a year and a half ago. She gave me the radio before she passed, and I used the 6v6 tubes in a guitar amp that I built. I've left the rest of the radio intact. It sits in my music room. It's a nice looking cabinet, Maybe I'll fix it someday.
Back to top Go down
atwaterkent
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What to do with old radio?   What to do with old radio? I_icon_minitimeJune 22nd 2018, 7:43 pm

I hate to see it destroyed, kind of a cool unit with the RCA 45 player. I'd try to sell it on Craigslist or Ebay. Several sellers ship Greyhound which is less expensive and from what I am told, the radios are handled much more carefully than the usual shippers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do with old radio?   What to do with old radio? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2016, 7:47 pm

Thanks Cliff. I don't think I want to go to the trouble of taking it apart to sell pieces. I'll probably advise the in-laws to advertise on craigs list, (or just give it to me)

Thanks so much for the advice.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: What to do with old radio?   What to do with old radio? I_icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2016, 10:58 am

It really isn't worth selling as a whole, but maybe you would get more by selling the guts, as a package, or individually, might be someone may have need of a cabinet, or chassis, or dial, or transformer ect.

PostSubject: Re: What to do with old radio?   What to do with old radio? I_icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2016, 8:16 pm

Yeah that's kind of what I thought. Can't really ship it, and most people want a table top model, not a big piece of furniture, right?
So would it be a crime against humanity if I pulled the chassis and made it into a guitar amp?
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: What to do with old radio?   What to do with old radio? I_icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2016, 7:42 pm

It really isn't worth much, accept for sentimental reasons. The tubes themselves are probably worth more. You might be better off selling it for $75 or so, considering it's needed repairs, but the biggest factor because of size, is shipping costs, it's just not worth much.

PostSubject: What to do with old radio?   What to do with old radio? I_icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2016, 4:04 pm

Hello all. I'm new the forum. I  have a little experience with tube guitar amps, but I'm not really into radios.
My purpose here is to get advice on what to do with my mother in law's radio. It is an RCA 9 w 101 like this one
Oops! I'm not allowed to post links yet. It's at radiomuseum RCA 9w101
She has had it since new, but needs to sell it now as she is moving to assisted living and won't have room for it. She has asked me to find a value for it and where might be the best place to sell it. I'm thinking Craigslist, but what price should she ask? It would need at least new caps, but the cabinet is pretty good.

The chassis and transformers would probably be a good start to a guitar amp, but I would hate to destroy something that might be appreciated by someone as is.

Any opinions?

Thanks, Dan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do with old radio?   What to do with old radio? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What to do with old radio?
Page 1 of 1