ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Just found a SW receiver

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pbpp
Beginning Member

Just found a SW receiver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just found a SW receiver   Just found a SW receiver I_icon_minitimeOctober 31st 2016, 7:39 am

I've restored several Realistic DX-160s.  There are about 22 capacitors which should be replaced.  In addition, check for any cold solder joints.  I've seen them come from the factory that way. 

Got a DX150, DX150A and a DX-160 waiting their turn on the bench.  Darn good receivers for the money.  You can usually pick one up at a hamfest for $45 - $60. 

The upper bands tend to go deaf as some receivers do.  Not much you can do about that. 

Also, I've seen the local oscillator go completely dead on these radios, as well as the FET front end.  Static electricity at the antenna terminals will kill that FET in a heartbeat. 

Best of luck there Cliff,
Mitch
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Just found a SW receiver   Just found a SW receiver I_icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2012, 5:20 am

Hi Cliff,

My apologies, I was gonna get back to you and forgot. Laughing Embarassed

I got all the files OK. Thanks a heap!

Bob
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Just found a SW receiver   Just found a SW receiver I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2012, 2:49 pm

Just in case you dont get the manuals :
Click here to see manuals for free

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Just found a SW receiver   Just found a SW receiver I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2012, 10:56 am

One of the files is 13 megs the rest are all less than 2 megs. So hope your server can download big files in Email. I already sent it. :pirat:

PS if you are desperate I think one of the manual sites has it for sale, I think the range is $8 to $25.

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Just found a SW receiver   Just found a SW receiver I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2012, 10:30 am

Thanks Cliff, it's appreciated.

Yep, that transistor tester manual is unobtanium for sure. In fact, there's hardly any thing on this machine to be found. Very Happy I'm sure its operation is as basic as other types like this. It's just that I'm strange when it comes to manuals for gear I have. I just want the manuals. Laughing

I'll let you know if the attachments come through OK.

Thanks again, Bob
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Just found a SW receiver   Just found a SW receiver I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2012, 10:19 am

I send them to you as an Email attachment. I have been looking for a long time that transistor tester manual you needed, but that is an orphan I think, however most of them are all the same on instructions so I will send my PDF copy too.

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Just found a SW receiver   Just found a SW receiver I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2012, 3:54 am

Great find Cliff!

I picked one up a couple of years ago at a local ham flea market.

Do you have the links for those pdf manuals handy? Wouldn't mind a copy of these as well.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Just found a SW receiver   Just found a SW receiver I_icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2012, 10:17 pm

I lady from our church asked me to help get rid of Her deceased Husband radio Junk. Took almost 3 hours to any many trips up and down stairs. The good stuff was taken by the son, but I got a realistic DX-160 and its speaker.

Turned it on, and nothing. I turned up the volume and RF gain and heard a slight hiss. So I decided to start switching the band-switch knob. Wow! what a racket of static.

Turned it back and forth a few more times and the broadcast band came to life. The other bands still were flakey. Unplugged the unit, removed the bottom cover and use a tooth pick and dipped it in cramolin and touched each wafer switch with some oil. I couldn't get them all but I figured the liquid would spread from contact to contact. There was also a brass spring that was used as a ground to the shaft so oiled that too. It had a black ring around the shaft where the spring touched and it disappeared when I use the cramolin.

I reassembled the thing and turned it on and all bands now have life. What a Face

I also found the owners and maintenance manual online in PDF.
Another thing was I now have about 8 CB transceivers, A portable Panasonic RF 7270, A scanner Tennelec MCP1 (first true digital programing manufactured) and two field strength meters. A few novice books on CBs, and a complete Long wire shortwave antenna with insulators, with a ladder feeder line.

Last edited by Cliff Jones on June 18th 2012, 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just found a SW receiver   Just found a SW receiver I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just found a SW receiver
Page 1 of 1