ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Another project - copy of an Ameco AC-1

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ka7rsb
Beginning Member

Another project - copy of an Ameco AC-1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another project - copy of an Ameco AC-1   Another project - copy of an Ameco AC-1 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2012, 6:06 pm

That is a beautiful transmitter. I am glad to see someone still likes to make quality rigs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another project - copy of an Ameco AC-1   Another project - copy of an Ameco AC-1 I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 5:31 pm

Thanks Cliff, I appreciate the very nice comment! The original AC-1's came with 6V6 tubes, but a 6L6 will work too. I'll start with the 6V6 and it should do between 5 and 10 watts. For now, I only have one coil form and plan to wind it for 40m. I'll find at least another form for 80m and have a few FT-243 crystals for that band. Other bands are mostly limited to being able to find crystals. I grind and pen my own FT-243 crystals, but have only made them for 80 and 40m. The higher bands are a bit more of a challenge, because they are so thin. Since I took that picture, I have got the 2 tuning capacitors mounted, but haven't been able to do any more work on it since. I got side tracked building a 4 foot loop for the MW band. That and being sickly, have pretty much gotten in the way of finishing the AC-1. It shouldn't take too long to finish it, there's not much to the wiring. I'll post more pictures as I get farther along..
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Another project - copy of an Ameco AC-1   Another project - copy of an Ameco AC-1 I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 12:47 pm

WOW what a beauty! That look like Museum quality. Keep us informed. Any details on Power out or frequency range, I am unfamiliar with this set.

PostSubject: Another project - copy of an Ameco AC-1   Another project - copy of an Ameco AC-1 I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 3:49 am

I've got too many projects in the works and have trouble focusing on just one at a time. Here's one that I'm trying to get finished. It's a modified copy of an Ameco AC-1. I changed a few things. Used a crystal socket instead of the octal tube socket they used for the crystal and they key jack. I put a key jack on the rear. I also eliminated the 2 terminal antenna strip they used and instead mounted an SO-239 on the back. I didn't want mine to look like all the rest, so I didn't paint it gray. Instead, I polished the aluminum chassis and also the top cover of the transformer. Other than the front label sticker being a little crooked, I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out. I still have to finish the wiring underneath and wind the coil. Here's a picture:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another project - copy of an Ameco AC-1   Another project - copy of an Ameco AC-1 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another project - copy of an Ameco AC-1
Page 1 of 1