ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Signal Generators

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Signal Generators - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Signal Generators   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2/15/2011, 3:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Signal generators can be used for more than alignment of radios. You can test inductive and capacitive components.

The Idea is when an AC signal is connected to a capacitor and a resistor in series, a voltmeter is first put on one component, then the voltage is read, then the other component is read for its voltage. When the voltages are equal you can determine the Impedance. I haven't tried this yet so I'll have to read up on it again.

AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Picked up a Sig gen from EBay   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime5/20/2012, 11:49 am

Subject: Audio Generator questions
Paid $56.00 which included shipping
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Subject: Found on EBay   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Fri 4 May 2012 - 23:27[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A Philips/Fluke PM5135 Function Generator.
I am in need of an English Manual for it, does anyone have a copy?
Generator sold for $34.99 plus Shipping and Handling $21.62 = Total $56.61
Nice look from what I can tell, will know more when it arrives. I tried fluke but no luck on manual. It looks to be a 1993 production.
Function generator is easy to use

The PM 5135 is a low-cost, easy-to-use function generator. Frequency is
selected by setting front-panel pushbuttons and a large logarithmic dial
and vernier control. Also easily selected by pushbuttons are the standard
sine, triangle, and square waveforms. Duty cycle is a standard 50%. Dc
offset can be added, if needed, with a <+/->10-V range. Offset dc voltage
can also be produced without any ac component. The PM 5135's sweeps can
be single or continuous, with a logarithmic characteristic and a
continuously variable sweep ratio from 1 to 2,000. The sweep range is 3.5
decades, and sweep period is continuously adjustable from 10 to 150 s.
Triggering can be set internally manually, via or from an external source.
The PM 5135's output is short-circuit-proof.

The picture attached isn't the best quality but gives you an Idea anyway.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is my first modern Signal generator, so I am unfamiliar with its different uses and functions, so any advice and suggestions would be appreciated as to uses. I cannot find a users manual, and I have really looked. I found one in Spanish,( Click Here for PDF ) and I found a previous model which is very close. but nothing that describes each button and functional use.

The front panel from left to right :
frequency/sweep start   dial
determines output freq. or start freq. if you want to use it as a sweep generator

frequency Hz  push buttons multiplies the dial by xfactor ,lo end 100th of a second ,hi end 10khz times main dail marking

x0.01_x1_x100_10khz

sweep buttons with one indicator light:
On - allows sweep  mode
Cont internal osc- runs all the time
Trig internal osc- started by external trigger source,

Waveform  buttons:  sine_triangle_square_DC voltage that follows the freq. of the main osc

Attenuation   buttons -all out no attenuation of the osc. output
10dB_20dB_30dB

Power Light

Bottom row consists of knobs and one bnc jack
Frequency Offset-pos or neg limits of sweep  -20%   to  +20%
Sweep Stop   (I think this interacts with sweep time. )   01 to 200
Sweep Time       1s to 150s
DC Offset          - 10v to +10v
Amplitude     3v pp to 30v pp

Output BNC Jack  Zo50 Ohms symbol on the side of the jack is an upside down capital letter T

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back panel has 4 BNC Jacks
What are the purpose of these inputs?  
Inputs:
External input
Sweep  usually a triangle waveform that sets the start freq and stop freq of the sweep
Trigger input pulse that locks the internal osc to an outside source
----------------------------
Outputs :
Sweep internally generated ramp wave form that follows the sweep set up
TTL 0v to 5v logic level of internal osc waveform.
-----------------

Each jack also has the upside down letter T. It means that all ground connections are tied internally together

Last edited by Cliff Jones on 11/2/2014, 3:43 pm; edited 10 times in total (Reason for editing : symbol clarification)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime5/10/2012, 5:35 am

I found a person who said they had the training courses that include the manual for my signal generator, but still haven't got a copy. He was working on making the entire course downloadable for free, but I don't think he ever finished. So, I'm still looking for the manual.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime5/10/2012, 1:07 am

I know your post is over 4 months old but Your RCA generator as a kit has no model number so the only thing is the schematic which you say you found.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/5/2012, 3:37 am

Glad to Help, thats what this forum is all about. Pssst Keeps me out of trouble too. :pirat:

PostSubject: Many Thanks!   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/4/2012, 7:13 am

Wow Cliff! Thanks so much for the huge amount of work to satisfy my request. All files came through just fine and this is exactly what I needed! Thank you also for the user name work which appears to be fine. Many thanks again, Eric
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/4/2012, 3:00 am

Look in your Email. Sleep Big File(s) study I had to send several Emails because my server wont allow huge files.

PostSubject: Thanks   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/3/2012, 7:18 pm

Thanks Cliff it is really appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/3/2012, 6:17 pm

I will try and copy to PDF and forward, it's now 3:15 so it may take an hour or so to copy and compile. When I finish I will send by EMail. If every thing works OK and Murphy's Law is sleeping. LOL

PostSubject: Need a manual for RCA WR-49B Signal Generator   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/3/2012, 3:47 pm

Does anyone have a copy of the manual for a WR-49B Signal Generator they can e-mail me? Any help would be much appreciated? My email address is ecpilot at charter.net
Thanks, Eric W2EJC
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime1/19/2012, 5:46 pm

I Did receive your mailed hard-copy, but a guest sent PM asking if I got a attachment or hard-copy. Just to jog my memory I did receive it again sorry for not posting this. Thank you!

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime1/5/2012, 6:58 pm

sent Email but it said I couldn't send anymore at this time so I don't know if you got it so I will send you a pm with email address too.

Opps!
Sent USPS Address also today by Email 01-06-2012

Last edited by Cliff Jones on 1/6/2012, 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update home address)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: RCA RF Signal Generator   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime1/5/2012, 5:26 pm

Cliff--I have the manual for the model WR-49B, which surely is very similar to the 49A you found. If you would like a copy of it, E-mail me a mailing address.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime12/14/2011, 7:07 pm

I'm also looking for a signal generator manual. Mine is the RCA Signal Generator Kit, no model number. I found a schematic on the web, but looking for a manual. I read on a web page, that it might be in the 1961 RCA Radio Course, but I haven't been able to find that either. Maybe someone has one or knows of a source? Thanks, 73. Bill NT9K..
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime9/10/2011, 4:13 pm

Jackson manuals are rare, BAMA has a couple but not your model. I will keep my eye out for one, but I am not too hopeful.

Last edited by Cliff Jones on 5/14/2014, 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime9/7/2011, 6:15 pm

Geeez, I thought I'd done that! I must be getting forgetful in my dotage. Crying or Very sad It's a Jackson Model 106. Surely SOMEONE has one.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime9/7/2011, 5:37 pm

You need to specify which Brand and Model #. Very Happy

Or Just a general use manual?

PostSubject: Signal Generator Manual Needed   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime9/7/2011, 4:15 pm

I've looked in all the "usual suspect" places to no avail. Any help appreciated. Will gladly pay repro & mailing costs if need be.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Found at swap meet at PSARA in North Seattle   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime8/22/2011, 3:01 am

Two RCA RF signal generators
First one is model WR-50A paid $5
Second one was Model WR-49A paid $2

will test these soon but I would like a manual for each and Schematic, tried on the web but nothing.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Signal Generators   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2/15/2011, 3:50 pm

Signal generators can be used for more than alignment of radios. You can test inductive and capacitive components.

The Idea is when an AC signal is connected to a capacitor and a resistor in series, a voltmeter is first put on one component, then the voltage is read, then the other component is read for its voltage. When the voltages are equal you can determine the Impedance. I haven't tried this yet so I'll have to read up on it again.

PostSubject: Re: Signal Generators   Signal Generators - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Signal Generators
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2