ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Measuring impedance with General test equipment

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

Measuring impedance with General test equipment  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Measuring impedance with General test equipment    Measuring impedance with General test equipment  I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2021, 1:58 pm

The three that I have used for decades (and still use) are the GR 1606-A RF Bridge, the GR 1602-AB UHF Admittance Meter, and the GR 1603-A Z-Y Bridge.

Dale H. Cook, Retired Chief Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA

Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Measuring impedance with General test equipment    Measuring impedance with General test equipment  I_icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2021, 1:35 pm

I don't know anything about slotted line.
But I did some browsing and here's What I found.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
-------------------------
and this one: 

------------------------
another with spreadsheets choices:

------------------------
--------------------------

Beginning Member

PostSubject: Measuring Z with a slotted line   Measuring impedance with General test equipment  I_icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2021, 2:22 pm

DrNefario:  Send me an email at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].      I can't figure out how to attach a few pages in PDF form.      I scanned in the procedure right out of the HP 415 manual and see no way to attach these simple PDF's.     (sorry I have no patience with this stuff )   Tried but get a message that the format is not supported.

It has been years since I measured Z using the slotted line but it is not difficult.     Just have to find the coordinates on the chart and do some rotation with a compass and straightedge.
Back to top Go down
pschuch
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Measuring Z with a slotted line   Measuring impedance with General test equipment  I_icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2021, 1:59 pm

My spreadsheet doesn't cover the slotted line impedance measuring technique BUT I will post the procedure from the hp 415 manual after I scan it in.
Basically you place a short on the slotted line to determine the electrical lengths so these can be plotted on the Smith Chart.    Standby: Smile

Last edited by pschuch on January 30th 2021, 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Trying to add attachments)
Back to top Go down
DrNefario
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Measuring impedance with General test equipment    Measuring impedance with General test equipment  I_icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2021, 7:48 am

Hello pschurch, I am interested in your spreadsheet.  I am playing with slotted line impedance measurements for kicks.  I do have an 8753C and a NanoVNA for regular use, but I want to experience the "pains" of having to make this measurement the old way. Smile  I am fine with getting the VSWR measurement and the angle for the reflection coefficient and can derive the load impedance using a Smith Chart, but I would like to implement the math in a spreadsheet.  If you already have done this I would like to calculate the complex impedance using this way.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Measuring impedance with General test equipment    Measuring impedance with General test equipment  I_icon_minitimeApril 16th 2020, 7:39 pm

Thanks for offering the help. I am sure some members will take you up on it.
Back to top Go down
pschuch
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Using GR Impedance measuring equipment   Measuring impedance with General test equipment  I_icon_minitimeApril 16th 2020, 6:02 am

I have and used extensively:
GR-821-A
GR-916-AL
GR-1602-A
GR-1606-A
GR-1608-A
HP 250 RX meter
HP 415 with slotted line HP 805
BRC-160
BRC-190
If I can be of any assistance with these let me know.   For those instruments that don't give direct readings, I have simplified some of the number crunching with an Excel spreadsheet.  
Also, I worked in HP's repair and cal lab for almost 25 years and am familiar with many of the instruments available prior to the mid 90's.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Measuring impedance with General test equipment    Measuring impedance with General test equipment  I_icon_minitimeJune 7th 2016, 3:48 pm

Got it. Thanks Cliff!!!
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Measuring impedance with General test equipment    Measuring impedance with General test equipment  I_icon_minitimeJune 7th 2016, 11:49 am

It works on my IPad, however I sent you an emai, with the attachment just now. Hope that works.

FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Measuring impedance with General test equipment    Measuring impedance with General test equipment  I_icon_minitimeJune 6th 2016, 11:23 pm

Cliff,
No attachment.Sad
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Measuring impedance with General test equipment    Measuring impedance with General test equipment  I_icon_minitimeJune 6th 2016, 10:31 am

Here's a HP APPLICATION NOTE. Only using an oscillator and a VTVM.
Click here and download

PostSubject: Re: Measuring impedance with General test equipment    Measuring impedance with General test equipment  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Measuring impedance with General test equipment
Page 1 of 1