ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,    Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,  I_icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2019, 12:07 pm

FrankB wrote:
Got it Cliff- THANKS!!!
 Mine was assembled, so I have to troubleshoot it and hopefully all the parts are there.
You've got the manual now, so you can check the boxes off next to the parts list. That's the first thing I did, to see if parts were missing before I start the assembling. The only thing that I didn't track were the tiny screws-washers and nuts. affraid

Just things I noted to organize.
Look at all the parts for ID especially the transistors, I had to use a jewelers loop to see the numbers.  The diodes, two of them were on machine tape, but one was loose in the bag, it was a voltage controlled Variactor (D1) FV1043 for FM Section.
2 Diodes D2, D3 are for the FM Ratio Detector. I would make sure those are the correct number 1N34A and cathodes/anodes are positioned correctly. I had to use a loop (15X) on reading the numbers.

Looks like Now you will have an easier time to troubleshooting using the manual, as it has test equipment and the voltages and alignment adjustments that are needed. Make sure the correct transistors are not incorrectly installed.

(I know how knowledgeable you are in repairs and troubleshooting, but I am mentioning some things for the benefit of our newer Members and Newbies, (and check the input power (9 volts) and it reads at least current of 5-15 mA (my guess), if not then look for shorts or opens.))

As you do trouble shooting Please keep me informed of every test you do from start to finish, so I can follow. You are My Elmer on this project. I will document your procedures, and make up a further troubleshooting addendum to add to the Manual. study

FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,    Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,  I_icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2019, 6:32 pm

Got it Cliff- THANKS!!!
 Mine was assembled, so I have to troubleshoot it and hopefully all the parts are there.
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,    Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,  I_icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2019, 1:52 pm

Cliff,

Interested in some AM/FM radio kits?

I bought a yard sale bag of radio kits partially complete that were used in a local vocational school training.

Unfortunately, no assembly manuals.

IMHO one radio can be completed possibly a second by sourcing missing parts. There are duplicates of other parts and possibly a third circuit board.

The radio is a "clip-on-the-hip" model with a plastic case and a spring wire clip. No speaker uses headphones.
I can't remember the manufacturer but they were still selling kits some 4ya. They wanted $10 for an instruction sheet. So I never bothered.

You were looking for training, well IMHO this is it...

I ran across them in my most cluttered shop a few weeks ago. Hope I can find them again Smile

Chas
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,    Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,  I_icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2019, 9:51 am

On my circuit card the schematic is printed on the front of the card. Is yours? Is it the same kit model? Did you get all the parts?
I had to use a pocket jeweler's magnifier to read the diode [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and Transistor and IC [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
The transistors were not carded, so I made a card and taped them, so they are marked as to part # and part symbol Number

The Manual is linked to at the bottom of the page so you could download it.

The schematic on the last back page.
I called TEquipment this morning and in answer to their inquiry asking what action I wanted to do, Either Call Elenco for the Part or return the kit, I let them know I received an Email that was from Elenco stating they will send the AM antenna within 3-10days. Very Happy

I could send you a PDF file of just the schematic on the back page, since I understand about your poor internet connection and speed. Let me Know. The total instruction booklet (PDF File)is 64 pages and is 2.1 megs. I'm sure you would prefer the entire file.
I just noticed I can attach a file to this post, so I will also attempt that for the first time. HOPE IT WORKS!!!
IT Didn't WORK! EDIT!
I adjusted the Admin permissions to 16 megs for File attachments within messages, lets hope this works now. Will try to attach AGAIN!!!

FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,    Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,  I_icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2019, 5:50 pm

Cliff,
I have the exact same one sitting here. Not working, i got it at the Goodwill surplus store misc. bin.
 When you get done, I'd appreciate a copy of the schematic & instructions so I can get this one going.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,    Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,  I_icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2019, 8:43 pm

I ordered an Elenco AM/FM radio Kit.
It has two separate audio systems one is an I.C. Audio chip and separate 5 transistor audio board.

The instruction and assembly manual are very well detailed. Even using test equipment to make adjustment as to I.F. Bandwidth , distortion. Using a power supply if needed, Oscilloscope, Digital multimeter and Signal generator and even detailed explanations of what voltages should be and corrections. It even includes a diddle stick and brass and iron (or ferret?) slugs that are to be assembled from heat shrink. Pictures showing test points and pictures of test equipment you can use, and if you don't have what is needed then they skip that section and do an alternative method to use.
Much more testing and troubleshooting Than the old Heathkits were.
Cost was $45 or so plus Shipping. Total $60.35.
I let the company TEquipment who sold it online and Elenco  who was the supplier. (I guess)
I hope to get a ferrite antenna that isn't broken.
Here's a link so you can see the assembled unit. It doesn't have a case but is stood up for demonstration.
I think this is the best way for me to get hands on training before I really delve into repairing transistor radios.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Look at the Manual (this would be good to learn step by step alignment and theory of operation even without the Kit)
___> [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,    Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ordered a AM/FM radio kit,
Page 1 of 1