ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Microsoft Edge Browser for other operating systems

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

Microsoft Edge Browser for other operating systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Edge Browser for other operating systems   Microsoft Edge Browser for other operating systems I_icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2020, 3:50 pm

I have tried a number of various free browser programs over the years going back to Netscape. 

Chas, I ended up downloading the browser available from CCleaner. CCleaner is better known for its free (basic version) cleaner program that can be somewhat helpful in removing junk files, etc. that build up on a computer over time. I have had various versions of CCleaner on my computers for a while now. Doesn't do any harm and may actually help a bit. CCleaner and AVAST appear to be working together in the browser effort. 

I found out that that new Microsoft Edge browser was a beta version-not really ready for the public yet. Maybe they will manage to improve it and get the bugs out as time goes on. I have a feeling that these companies are not going to put a lot of effort into an older operating system like I am using here. 

73, Roderick  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Edge Browser for other operating systems   Microsoft Edge Browser for other operating systems I_icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2020, 5:01 pm

Opera or Chrome?

I tried Opera 10YA, it was O.K. but at the time I had a learning curve with the Bookmarks in Opera. I was struggling with an early edition of Firefox, 10.0 FWIR and it seems it did not have security in place for me to visit the health providers web site. What made matters worse was I could not upgrade because of the kernal... I could not upgrade the kernal because, well, the computer was to old to deal with the advanced software. I ended up replacing the computer, I did try other lighter O.S's but I did not like their desktops.

I have not gone back to Opera, I am satisfied how Firefox runs and the few ad-ons I need to make it run smooth for me...

I have not used Chrome...

Chas
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Edge Browser for other operating systems   Microsoft Edge Browser for other operating systems I_icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2020, 4:33 pm

A week ago, trouble started with the new Microsoft Edge browser although I didn't know that or what it was at the time. Pictures on eBay listings became unstable to look at and then yesterday evening portions of web site pages were blacked out although I gathered the browser was still "working" otherwise. I wondered if the graphics or graphics driver in the computer might be failing. Internet Explorer 11 was still working OK though. I down loaded a fresh copy of Edge and hoped that would solve things. Might have been better to uninstall the old one first but I figured I would be asked if I wanted to replace the existing copy but that didn't come up as it turned out. I did check to see if there were now two copies of it on the computer but only saw the new one I downloaded today. The result weren't good. Sometimes the screen looked ok and at other times it was unstable and partially or mostly blacked out or items like tabs not showing up as they should be. So then I went to uninstall Microsoft Edge and that was not working or going well either. I think I just lucked out at removing it when I clicked on the wrong item (Launch manager) on the list of installed programs while trying to redo the uninstall once again. That started something going and then a notice came up saying that it had been successfully removed.

Right now, I am back to using Internet Explorer 11. It has it limitations though and I will have to find another browser to supplement it. 

73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Microsoft Edge Browser for other operating systems   Microsoft Edge Browser for other operating systems I_icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2020, 11:00 am

Microsoft has apparently partnered with Google Chrome and come out with a new Edge browser for most operating systems currently supported and in use. I got a copy of it a few days ago and so far so good. I needed something to use in addition to the outdated Internet Explorer 11 on my old Gateway laptop with Windows 8.1. The Gateway is old and heavy to lug around but still works fairly well.
73, Roderick  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Edge Browser for other operating systems   Microsoft Edge Browser for other operating systems I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Microsoft Edge Browser for other operating systems
Page 1 of 1