ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Tube testers

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Tube testers  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Tube testers    Tube testers  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2010, 11:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

This is just to get this topic started. I have 3 tube testers, a Jackson 636, and a couple of B&Ks.
One being a 747 and the other a 707.
------------------------
I just replaced a resistor in the Jackson that was way out of tolerance and now I can do a line adjust.
-----------------------
I would like to make a tube socket strip for the newer B&Ks to test older 4 and 5 pin tube types on. Oh well another project. Has anyone done this?
-----------------
On another note there are a number of Web sites that do have free Manual downloads for old tube testers.
If you come across those drop me a PM and possibly add them to our Links.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Oh No, have I killed it??   Tube testers  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2011, 5:50 pm

Hi folks,
finally got the schematic for the Jackson 637 tester.
Long story short: powers, lights 12ax7 filament, but can't get meter movement - it's sitting far left, just off the scale. It flickers 0.5mm-ish on power on-off.
Measures 170ohm (0-500uA and 200ohm specs).
Tried a quick 1.2v battery across terminals- now it works fine BUT,,
it returns left NOT to zero but sits about 1/3 way up the scale.
It reads line control, displays 12ax7 readings seemingly accurately, and the multimeter function displays 9.2vdc of a 9v battery accurately..
but when returning to zero it doesn't drop down to far left, in fact when the battery 9v battery is disconnected the needle drops short of full zero left and stops and slightly bounces as if it's hitting a physical obstruction??

Have I killed it, any ideas as to what I've done and more importantly, solutions??
Many thanks, Dave
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Jacson 637 Tube Tester   Tube testers  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2011, 12:44 am

Metal films are a good replacement,  carbon composition resistors are getting the point where you don't know when they were made and they are notorious for changing values even as NOS (New Old Stock).

Rather than chance Ebay on your needs from non dedicated electronics sellers stay with ones who specialized in say overseas films, I understand you can really get some good buys. I myself use Just Radios--> [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as they are a good source in the states.

Film resistors are as you mentioned good on tolerance values, and size for size usually have a smaller footprint even though they have the same wattage. The only time films would be a problem is if they are spiral cut, but they do make them with counter spirals to eliminate induction in RF applications of higher frequency circuits.

The Same on caps, they have better designs and take up less space because of film technologies involved.Just Radios also has those too.
You can get 1mmfd 450V for $ 0.79 each
Then farnell you mentioned is a little high, they are going after the audiophools. ER-I mean Audiophiles LOL. Suspect

Last edited by Cliff Jones on April 24th 2014, 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Jacson 637 Tube Tester   Tube testers  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2011, 7:50 pm

Cliff/folks, some great info from another board I inquired on..

>Your Sangamo capacitor is plastic molded paper, not an electrolytic. Type 30 is listed in the 16th. Edition of Radio`s Master catalog for 1951-52. Listed under “Paper Capacitors—‘Redskin’—>Plastic Molded Tubular”. A 1mfd @ 600vdc is part number 300610, measuring 1-3/8” diameter and 2-5/8” length, list price $1.95. The arrow points to the end marked by the band indicating >the outside foil. Modern capacitors usually do not mark the outside foil.
>
>Paper capacitors from that period are almost guaranteed to be leaky and indeed, several type 30 capacitors that I have removed from equipment test leaky on my Sprague TO-6 tester.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Now my back-up question.. what to replace with,, Element 14 (Farnell) have this (part no: 1438471)
which looks OK size, or can I go for the super-cheap things I see on Evilbay??
Also while I think of it, when I find some of the carbon comps needing changing, I'm thinking metal film for precision/tolerance yes?
Thanks for any thoughts, Dave
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Jacson 637 Tube Tester   Tube testers  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2011, 9:01 am

Because of the markings it would indicate that those are electrolytics.
Electrolytics have a definite polarity while other types don't.
The vertical line is a dead giveaway and so is the arrow.

I will see if I can research this a little bit further though.

If they are connected to the B+ that would be another clue of polarity.

Last edited by Cliff Jones on April 24th 2014, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Jackson 637 tube tester   Tube testers  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2011, 2:11 am

Hi folks, probably a simple one for U guys, but I need some help identifying this cap..
To me, I read it as a Sangano 1uf 600v, but I'm not sure if it's an electrolytic??
It's not the "usual" aluminiun case, but does clearly have an arrow..

Any ideas?
David
(BTW, this and the cap underneath are on the hit list for replacement, as well as checking all the resistors..(groan....)

Pictures no longer available.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Jackson 636 Instructions (and 103 )   Tube testers  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2011, 2:17 pm

Jackson Tube Tester 636 instructions  ©
Original Work By Clifford Jones
I did a lot of research and spent time to incorporate this information into a readable instruction form for your use.

Jackson Model No. 636 DYNAMIC OUTPUT TUBE TESTER
Instructions for Tube Testing

This Dynamic tube tester incorporates the most advanced features of design and accuracy. The test method is a new advancement in the JACKSON DYNAMIC OUTPUT circuit which has established an excellent reputation for accuracy. The control arrangement is greatly simplified --- this permits easy and rapid testing of tubes. As is true with any fine piece of equipment, it is always well to thoroughly understand operation before attempting to use. Please read the following instructions CAREFULLY.

PURPOSE OF CONTROLS
A.  OFF- ON SWITCH: This switch turns the tester on or off.

B.  LINE CONTROL: The purpose of this control is to establish accurate voltage to the tube being tested. It is important that the meter needle be adjusted, by means of this control to read at the LINE point on the meter dial during all tests.

C.  FILAMENT CONTROL: This control permits the correct selection of filament voltage for the tube to be tested. Before inserting any tube in the tester make sure that the Filament control is correctly set per listing given on the tube chart. A single setting of the FILAMENT control (such as 35-45) is suitable for any having a heater voltage between 35 V and 45 V. There is one spare position not in use at present.

D.  SPECIAL TEST: Several tube types have their filament terminals in other than the standard position. The function of this switch is to properly set up the filament circuit. The majority of tubes are set with this switch in the NORMAL position. If other than a normal setting is required, the filament listing on the chart is followed by a letter and in this case the SPECIAL TEST switch must first be turned to the specified position.

E.  CIRCUIT CONTROL: This control is used for making shorts and leakage tests and later on in the tube testing procedure, is used to select the proper element to secure a meter reading to determine the tubes output worth. When shorts test is made, a full rotation this control will test for any shorted or leaky condition at each and every tube element, including the shell on metal tube types.

F.  PLATE: This control adjusts the meter to the proper condition for the tube type to be tested. This knob has been carefully adjusted at the factory – do not loosen set screw.

G.  TEST BUTTONS: It is the purpose of these buttons to simultaneously arrange the circuit for the type to be tested, to remove the line control reading on the meter, and to secure a meter reading on the quality or output worth of the tube. Buttons J K L M N O P are lock type for circuit switching. Buttons Q R S are non-lock type. With proper buttons in this group (per chart) depressed, a reading of tube condition is obtained.

H,  THE METER DIAL
Tubes which fall in the red portion of the dial are classified by the tester as defective. It will be noted that a tube which delivers an ultra high deflection is classified as questionable by the red area (extreme right on the dial). Such a tube may be questionable in performance because of the possibility of a “gassy” condition; or the defect might be misplaced elements or damaged connections in the base of the tube.

THE TUBE CHART
This chart lists the proper settings for the FILAMENT, PLATE, and CIRCUIT, controls.
It also designates the proper TEST buttons that must be used. The FILAMENT (FIL) and PLATE (PLA) listings are self explanatory. The CIRCUIT TEST column in addition to designating the proper TEST buttons to be used.
For example: if a CIRCUIT TEST listing of 2 J L S is given, the CIRCUIT control should first be set to “2” then the “ J & L “ buttons locked down and then the “S” button locked down to secure meter reading.

MANNER OF OPERATION
1- LINE VOLTAGE ADJUSTMENT: Turn LINE CONTROL in a clockwise direction, until the needle points to “LINE”

2- TESTS FOR SHORTS AND LEAKAGES: (all TEST BUTTONS must be in the “released” position for shorts and noise testing.) Set FILAMENT CONTROL as shown on chart for tube type to be tested. Types having a letter following filament setting turn SPECIAL TEST switch to a given position. All types not having above designations turn SPECIAL TEST switch to NORMAL position, insert tube in socket and allow time to heat.
Turn CIRCUIT CONTROL to all positions tapping tube at each position and watching leakage indicator, if lamp flashes or glows steadily the tube is shorted or leaky and is not satisfactory. Several types will show shorted even though normal. These types are indicated on the chart. If chart specifies that a shorted condition should exist at one or more of the positions of the circuit control and the tube under test fails to do so, it is an indication of a defective tube.

NOISE TEST: This test essentially duplicates the Shorts and Leakage test and is performed in the same manner. The indication is audible instead of visual. It is valuable in that it goes beyond the capabilities o0f the Shorts and Leakage test in catching intermittently “open” tube elements.
A completely shorted tube will produce a 60 cycle hum in the phones. An intermittent short or open will produce clicks when the tube is tapped.

3- QUALITY TEST: Set ALL CONTROLS to settings given on the chart for tube types to be tested. Press the correct TEST buttons as indicated under the column CIRCUIT TEST and note reading on the meter. If the meter pointer stops in the green section the tube is satisfactory. If the pointer stops in the red section, tube is unsatisfactory and should be replaced.

4- DUAL TEST: (Elements Test)Tubes of the dual section type, several settings are given on the chart. When testing a tube of this type, repeat the above procedure for each set of test settings given on the chart. Press RELEASE key before setting up controls for each test condition.

5- TARGET TEST: The target sections of tuning indicator tubes are tested by setting the controls as shown under VIS and Visual Test on the chart. Press the correct TEST button and watch target element of the tube for glow.

* BALLAST TUBES: Instructions for testing ballast tubes type tubes are in the ballast tube chart supplied with this tester.

6- DIAL LIGHTS, etc, are tested in the center receptacle of the 7 prong socket. Be sure SPECIAL TEST switch is at NORMAL and filament volts set for the rating of lamp to be tested

Settings for new Tube Types
TUBE TYPE- Filament - PLATE- CIRCUIT TEST NOTES
0Y4 -- 18- 4- s
------------------------
*1A3- 1.4G- 60- 2- JOQ
SHOWS SHORTED AT 1,2,5,6
------------------------
1AB5- 1.4- 82- 2- JLOR
SHOWS SHORTED AT 7
------------------------
1U4- 1.4G- 57- 2- JLOQ
SHOWS SHORTED AT 5
-------------------
2D21- 6.3B- 16- 6- S
SHOWS SHORTED AT 4,5
---------------------------------------------------
SETTINGS FOR RECENTLY ANNOUNCED (NEW) TUBE TYPES:

JACKSON TUBE TESTER MODEL 634
JACKSON TUBE TESTER MODEL  636
JACKSON TUBE TESTER MODEL 637

TUBE TYPE - FIL. - PLA - CIRCUIT TEST
-------------------------------------------------------------
OY4- 18- 4- S
-------------------------------------------------------------
*lA3- l.4G- 60- 2- JCQ
Shows Shorted at 1,2,5 & 6
----------------------------------------
lAB5- l.4G- 82- 2- JLOR
Shows Shorted at 7
lU4- l.4G- 57- 2- JLOQ.
Shows Shorted at 5
2D21- 6.3B- 16- 6- S
Shows Shorted at 4&5
3E6- l.4D- 7-2- 2- JLOR
Shows Shorted at 1
3LF4- 1.4F- 40- 2- JLOR
Shows Shorted at 1
3V4- 1.4D- 38- 2- JLOR
Shows Shorted at 1
6AJ5- 6.3B- 31- 5- JOS
Shows Shorted at 2&4
6AK6- 6.3B- 45- 5- JOS
Shows Shorted at 4
6AL5- 6.3B- 75- 1- RS
Elements Test 2: 75- 5- RS
Shows Shorted at 4
6AN6- 6.3- 55- 2- Q.
Elements Test 2: 55- 3- Q.
Elements Test 3: 55- 4- Q.
Elements Test 4: 55- 5- Q.
6AQ5- 6.3B- 30- 5- JOS
Shows Shorted at 1&4
6AQ6- 6.3B- 72- 2- RS
Elements Test 2: 65- 5- Q
Elements Test 3: 65- 6- Q
Shows Shorted at 4
6AR6- 6.3E- 1-8 2- JMS
Shows Shorted at 7
6AS6- 6.3B- 70- 5- JOS
Shows Shorted at 4
6AT6- 6.3B- 72- 2- RS
Shows Shorted at 4
6AU6- 6.3B- 80- 5- JOS
Shows Shorted at 4
6BA6- 6.3B- 58- 5- JOS
Shows Shorted at 4
6BE6- 6.3B- 100- 5- JOS
Shows Shorted at 4
6J4- 6.3B- 75- 2- RS
Shows Shorted at 1,4,5&6
5J6- 6.3B- 38- 1- OR
Elements Test 2: 38- 2- NR
Shows Shorted at 4
6N4- 6.3B- 35- 5- S
Shows Shorted at 1,2,4&6
6S8- 6.3F- 77- 6- S
Elements Test 2: 65- 2- Q
Elements Test 3: 65- 3- Q
Elements Test 4: 65- 5- Q
6SU7- 6.3F- 68- 1- NS
Elements Test 2: 68- 4- LS
6SV7- 6.3F- 75- 6- JLRS
Elements Test 2: 65- 4-Q.
6SZ7- 6.3F- 72- 2- RS
Elements Test 2: 55- 3- Q
Elements Test 3: 65- 4- Q
6X4- 6.3B- 18- 1- S
Elements Test 2: 18- 6- S
Shows Shorted at 4
---------------------------------------
6AG7- 6.3- 38- 2- JLOS
---------------------------------------
7F8- 6.3A- 60- 3- S
Elements Test 2: 60- 6- S
Shows Shorted at 7
-----------------------------------
6G8/1206- 6.3- 46- 2- JLNS
Elements Test 2: 46- 7- JLNS
--------------------------------------
7X7/XXFM- 6.3- 100- 2- LS
12AT6- 12.6B- 72- 2- RS
Elements Test 2: 65- 5- Q.
Elements Test 3: 65- 6- Q.
Shows Shorted at 4
-----------------------------------
12BA6- 12.6B- 58- 5- JOS
Shows Shorted at 4
------------------------------------
12BE6- 12.6B- 100- 5- JOS
Shows Shorted at 4
12SW7- 12.6E- 60- 6- S
Elements Test 2 :65- 3- Q
Elements Test 3: 65- 4- Q
12SX7- 12.6F- 35- 1- NS
Elements Test 2: 35- 4- LS
12SY7- 12.6- 90- 2- JLPS
-------------------------------------

14F8- 12.6A 60 3 S
Elements Test 2: 60 6 S
Shows Shorted at 7
28D7- 25- 28- 4- KLR
Elements Test 2: 28- 5- JLPR

28Z5- 12.6C 18 3 S
Elements Test 2: 18 6S
Shows Shorted at 1
35W4- 35.B 17 5 S
Shows Shorted at 4&6
45Z3- 45- 50- 2- JOQ
Shows Shorted at 2&6
50B5- 50.B- 17- 5- JOS
Shows Shorted at 1&4
117Z3- 115.B- 32- 1- JNR
Shows Shorted at 1 & 5
9006- 6.3B -75- 1- JNQ
Shows Shorted at 1,2,4 & 5
-----------------------------------------------------------
Note:- As rapidly as possible the above types will be added to the regular tube charts
THE JACKSON ELECTRICAL INSTRUMENT CO. 18 South Patterson Boulevard
Dayton 1, Ohio.

Note: the Jackson 103 is exactly the same, except for a power light.

Last edited by Cliff Jones on October 31st 2015, 7:26 pm; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : ENHANCE READABILITY)
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Here a link for the Jackson 103 just like the 636   Tube testers  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeJune 30th 2011, 12:25 am

Click Here to see the demo

the only difference is a switch for power and a pilot light.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Tube testers    Tube testers  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2010, 11:15 pm

This is just to get this topic started. I have 3 tube testers, a Jackson 636, and a couple of B&Ks.
One being a 747 and the other a 707.
------------------------
I just replaced a resistor in the Jackson that was way out of tolerance and now I can do a line adjust.
-----------------------
I would like to make a tube socket strip for the newer B&Ks to test older 4 and 5 pin tube types on. Oh well another project. Has anyone done this?
-----------------
On another note there are a number of Web sites that do have free Manual downloads for old tube testers.
If you come across those drop me a PM and possibly add them to our Links.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tube testers    Tube testers  - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tube testers
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4