ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

You gotta be kidding. A bit of humor for Rona

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

You gotta be kidding.  A bit of humor for Rona Empty
PostSubject: Re: You gotta be kidding. A bit of humor for Rona   You gotta be kidding.  A bit of humor for Rona I_icon_minitimeApril 29th 2020, 12:59 pm

Some Good and bad Memories there.
I have a story. This is when I worked at the Navy Yard. I was getting past over for promotions several times. But they would hire Electronics Mechanics off the street. This one guy bragged about how experienced He was in repair work, but wouldn't do much so other mechanics would do the work because of time constraints. He would do as little as possible, but because He was in a privileged Minority group He had to be Hired. You get my drift.

Well finally the straw that got him fired was a safety issue (Not following the rules)
He was working on a transmitter Power supply, and while testing there was a humongous explosion.
Of course then every one grabbed their safety glasses because the Safety Inspection team was headed into our shop. They didn't want to be give a citation. Every one knew His reputation in the shop so, one or two squealed on Him for not having his PPE on and using it. (PPE=Personal Protective Equipment)
They finally had a reason to have Him quit or get fired.

By the way the Explosion was caused because of Him not following repair and testing procedures.
He turned the transmitter on and the Power Supply caps were installed backwards.

So we all took a lesson from that and a few us gave out a sigh of relief.

FrankB

You gotta be kidding.  A bit of humor for Rona Empty
PostSubject: You gotta be kidding. A bit of humor for Rona   You gotta be kidding.  A bit of humor for Rona I_icon_minitimeApril 28th 2020, 7:51 pm

I have had a few folks ask me some questions, and I'd like to share them with you.
 These are not made up. From actual customers:

Cust. walks into store and hands me a piece of carbon with 2 leads out of it
"I need another one of these". I replied jovially "Sorry, I don't have any burned up resistors in stock".
 I had to explain that I was unable to ID the value of the part, or even its wattage for certain.
 Finally I think I got him to understand that there was no way to figure out its original value, as it then fell apart in his hand. "There are 82 standard  EIA  (Electronic Industries Assn. for you who are not in the know)  resistor values and  hundreds more custom values.  And no, I can't even begin to guess what it was". He picked out a random resistor from our stock, paid & left. Never saw him again.

Same thing happened a couple of months later with another guy who brought me 1/2 of a charred & melted diode. Similar explanation to him. 

Another time a customer came in and needed an R101.
 I explained it was a board location designation and not an actual EIA part number. 
 IIRC we finally figured out the part after he came back with a chassis & model number.

Then there was the young kid that had a "Monster Amp" in his trunk and "It blows fuses".
He wanted a 10 A fuse, which I sold to him with the admonishment that " It likely wont solve the problem"
. A minute later he was back and wanted a larger fuse, 15A. I sold him one with the warning "You can set your car on fire or damage the wiring using the wrong value fuse".
 Yup, a minute later he was back. I sold him numerous fuses up to 50A and they kept blowing. He was unhappy, but I had warned him.

Then there was the 18 year old Word is Censored who wanted me to fix his "1000 watt" car power amp.
 Now this was a box about 4" x 5" x 2". No cooling fan either. I explained that there was no way that was a 1000 watt amp unless "It was hit with a bolt of lightening just before it exploded". 
 After explaining the min. svc charge, he decided to go elsewhere, and still wouldn't believe me that his $29.95 "Asian import" amp couldn't put out 1 KW, because "It said so on the label". (Maybe it drew 1 KW? Rolling Eyes )

Note that there are many ways to measure audio power: EIA, RIAA, Peak to Peak, Peak, and a few others. 
  Some amps that are quality WILL put out what they say they will, so be sure to see what method of test they used to arrive at the figures. 

Also look at the Total Harmonic Distortion, THD, at the full output rating. 
I have seen "El Cheepo import amps with...20% THD at 25 watts!!!! Shocked Shocked
 (Of course, with all the bass Boom Boom, I doubt the person could even hear the distortion as he drove down , (or maybe bounced) down the road with their amp at full volume.)

Hearing aids anyone?

The best one was when I was managing a parts store and a couple of bikers came in.
 Now these guys had the entire outfits on, chaps, boots, heavy leather, intercoms, the whole Magilla. And top end touring bikes too. 
 Their problem was the intercoms. Their batteries on their intercoms (9V) just didn't last on trips. No one had any solutions for them, and they were at their wits end.
  So out came the paper, pen, brain cells, and a data book.

I whipped up a nifty circuit using a LM7809 VR circuit and a few parts. They bought the parts, box, etc. and left. Still stunned that anyone had the solution, and was willing to tell them for free.
 Next day: "Hi, Back again?"  
 "Yes, we need more sets of the parts!!!". They must have built and outfitted all their buddies over the next few weeks.
 Satisfied customers, you can bet on it!. Very Happy

Then there was the time that I was working in a "wholesale only" electronics store and a customer came in and handed me a part no one else could ID, and said "I need another one of these fuses for the old radio I am working on".  I explained to him that it wasn't a fuse, but the grid leak resistor for the radio. Not one of the other employees had any vague idea as to what it was.  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

You gotta be kidding. A bit of humor for Rona
Page 1 of 1