ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Herbert Horn Radio

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2020, 7:12 am

Congratulations on getting your radio checked and serviced. Glad it worked out well for you. Thanks checking in with the forum too.
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
Moekeever
Beginning Member

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2020, 5:20 am

Update, I got my radio back after servicing. My buddy Jim says this radio was rebuilt sometime in the 1970’s. He checked everything out and cleaned the inside. I had him replace the capacitors per suggestions. I stand corrected, this radio is a Tiffany Tone model according to Jim. 

Again thanks to everyone for your time. My radio sounds great.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJuly 4th 2020, 3:43 pm

Herbert H Horn radios (Some are Tiffany)

THIS is in riders volume 9 from PDF number not by model page number.
PDF pages # 568 to 598

Models with schematics and dials on some

Two different model types some are just numbers and others are both letters and numbers.
MODEL* riders volume # -  HORN PAGE #
5*  6-1
5A * 7-1
5MT*  6-2
5MTD*  7-2
10MT*  7-4
11A * 9-2
15*  3-1
15M * 6-5
16MT*  8-1
17MT*  7-5
21*  4-1
24*  4-2
25*  4-1
36*  4-2
156*  4-4
156*  5-2
156AW* 6-2
101*  2-1
101B*  3-6
102*  3-6
109*  6-7
110*  2-1
112A*  5-1
158*  4-4
158*  5-2
50*  9-1
50B  9-1
51*  7-6
55*  6-1
58*  4-3
58*  5-2
59* 3-3
62*  7-6
62*  7-7
63* 7-8
66*  6-6
66MT*  6-9
66MT REV.*  7-1
67 * 9-3
69*  3-3
7MT*  6-3
70*  3-4
71*  3-4
76*  7-4
77*  6-1
79*  6-7
83*  7-8
87*  9-4
9MT*  6-4
9MT REV.*  7-3
9MTC*  6-4
9MTC REV.*  7-3
90 * 9-3
97*  9-4
99*  6-7
1934*  5-2

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 28th 2020, 1:06 pm

By the way, I just remembered that there are some books that do Have tube layouts on the internet
(I AM COMPILING A TUBE LIST FOR HERBERT H HORN RADIOS FROM RIDERS #9)

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 28th 2020, 12:54 pm

Herbert Horn Radio Howard10

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 28th 2020, 12:46 pm

I don't have the patience to type in every tube for every model, so I'll let you look and make a list if you would like to share to share?
Now consider also some model schematic are for the chassis but the model number usually mean just a cosmetic face lift in some cases. Even same in consoles. study

The reason if you share, some one on the web may be searching for just that information and will draw them to our forum. Thanks!

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 28th 2020, 12:28 pm

Herbert H Horn radios (Some are Tiffany)

THIS is in riders volume 9 from PDF number not by model page number.
PDF pages # 568 to 598

Models with schematics and dials on some

Two different model types some are just numbers and others are both letters and numbers.
This was sorted By MS Excel.

11A
240-1
240-2
275c
275t
400a
425a
4-T
50B
6B-A
6B-A
7BT
E256
E259
E5B
S225
s250
s260
s280

Last edited by Cliff Jones on July 4th 2020, 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 28th 2020, 12:18 pm

Hang on while I do a lot of typing. The picture I was referring to it the 7th post in line 
FStephenMasek
 Post subject: Re: Herbert H. Horn Tiffany Tone Radios
Herbert Horn Radio Icon_post_targetPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:19 pm 
Herbert Horn Radio File.php?avatar=7093_1347245769

I think Barry Dagestino, VP of SCARS and long-time president, has one of those grandfather clock radios.

I just bought a Tiffany Tone Model 97 from him yesterday:
(Picture is here showing the dial that look very similar in design.) Edit: The face-plate not the Escutcheon.

Last edited by Cliff Jones on June 28th 2020, 12:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 28th 2020, 12:07 pm

Regarding that link: there is more info there on Herbert H. Horn radios than I would ever want to know Very Happy ! But I didn't see your radio in any of the pictures or descriptions. Also, no tube line up given on any of the models mentioned. I will make an educated guess, from what I did see, that the company was in business as a manufacturer for about 10 years (1930 to 1940). As a radio wholesaler, he was in business at least as far back as 1925.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 28th 2020, 11:38 am

Heres More with a photo

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=285963

Beginning Member

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 27th 2020, 4:40 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have a appointment for July 8th. I will let you know how it goes. I read on one of the forums that the address on Olive St was occupied in 1935. Anyone have an idea on the year this Unit was manufactured?
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 26th 2020, 7:51 pm

That schematic is listed in Riders as a model 59, thats when I alerted Him about the tube count.

Another note to Moekeever: Make sure when you get it working bring it up on a Dim Bulb Tester and Variac. No need to put a Isolation Transformer in because its an AC only Set. Because some radio buffs make wiring mistakes. WHO ME? Never Happen! lol!

Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 26th 2020, 6:13 pm

Might just be stating the obvious but maybe there is a tube line up chart on the bottom of the case? Most Southern California radios were produced in Gilfillan's plant as they had an RCA license. That knowledge could be a help in tracking down a schematic for it. But with only (4) tubes it shouldn't be too hard to do the usual restoration repairs to make it a reliable radio. Good luck. 
73, Rod  WB6FBF
P.S. One of the tubes in the back row on the left looks to be a 6Q7G from a pencil mark on the chassis. That would indicate the set uses 6.3 Volt tubes except for the 80 rectifier on the back right side of the chassis (5 Volt filament). Since there are only 4 tubes, the output tube (farther in with the cap on it) is likely to be a 38 or possibly an 89.
Back to top Go down
Moekeever
Beginning Member

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 26th 2020, 5:16 pm

Cliff Jones wrote:
Count the tubes inside the radio it doesn't look like there is enough space for 8 tubes.
That is a common problem with providers of schematics like Beitmans, Riders and Sam's. I would say approximately 10-15% are in error.

I would be surprised if it has that many tubes, especially with those big ones. Look at the position of the transformer in the diagram that is a tube location, then in your picture it show a tube in the opposite corner. Thats not the case again referring to the Diagram. Just not the same.
I count 4 tubes so it’s not correct. I looked closer and this schematic is for the Tiffany tune model #59. I guess this model schematic is long lost.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 26th 2020, 2:45 pm

Count the tubes inside the radio it doesn't look like there is enough space for 8 tubes.
That is a common problem with providers of schematics like Beitmans, Riders and Sam's. I would say approximately 10-15% are in error.

I would be surprised if it has that many tubes, especially with those big ones. Look at the position of the transformer in the diagram that is a tube location, then in your picture it show a tube in the opposite corner. Thats not the case again referring to the Diagram. Just not the same.

Beginning Member

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 26th 2020, 12:49 pm

I found this schematic for model #59. Does this look accurate?

Herbert Horn Radio 3b472710
Back to top Go down
Moekeever
Beginning Member

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 26th 2020, 12:41 pm

Thanks for the replies, that’s how I learn anyway. This radio seems to have been rebuilt but I’m not 100% sure. I found a gentleman near me that repairs old radios so I will let him check it out. I know the cord was replaced and with the shape the unit is in, someone definitely took care of it. 

How did I end up with it? I was visiting my daughter in Chicago and a neighbor near her had a garage sale. I walked around and saw the radio and asked the price. The lady said it was her aunt’s and she didn’t know if it worked or not. I offered her $10 dollars and she accepted. That was summer of 2012, now that I have time on my hands I decided to do a little research. The unit is marked model #59 on the back, that’s what I’m going by. I will not turn it back on until it’s been serviced.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 26th 2020, 11:27 am

That company was based in southern California. I tried looking up the schematic with Universal Schematic Locator but nothing.
There is a model 59 but the tube count isn't the same So even though It's in Riders #3 Horn section page 3-3 study its not correct.

Because of the age you really should change the caps. If you leave the old ones in even though they work, isn't a guarantee that the are safe.
Unless you want to short out your B+ and then the transformer. Just remember this, the line voltage was 110 its now 120-122 volts. The electrolytic in capacitors is over 83 years (as of today if not more). Its the chemicals and paper that degrade. Smoke is instantaneous when least expected Sleep . By the way putting in a fuse wouldn't hurt either. One in the power line Primary transformer side unless you don't mind just being a shelf queen.

Thats like buying an antique Car with the original tires still on the car. How many Miles can you travel with tires that are made with real rubber and fiber cords? Especially from 1934. Your out on the freeway going along at 65 MPH. Gee! I cant understand why one exploded! They were fine when I got on the freeway. Rolling Eyes
I'm not patronizing, just having a little forum fun.
I did notice a very shiny I.F. Transformer, that almost tells me it was not the original. So maybe the Caps were replaced Also.???

Last edited by Cliff Jones on July 4th 2020, 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dan Walker
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 26th 2020, 9:30 am

If you look on any radio forum, you will find that everyone says''change all the capacitors''
  They were made with a sort of semi liquid  a inside , and it dries out , not doing it's job. If the electrolytic caps are not changed , it can cause the transformer to short  and burn out.
   It is your radio, and  I just suggest that  they be changed if you want the radio to continue to play.
  It may last another two years , BUT it also may only last a few days
 Dan in Calgary
Back to top Go down
Moekeever
Beginning Member

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 26th 2020, 8:08 am

Dan Walker wrote:

H.ere is some information about that maker of radio.
It might put you on to the information you would like.
  The radio will need the capacitors changed .
 Dan in Calgary
Dan, thanks for the quick reply. My model #59 was manufactured before June 1933. As for the capacitors, how long will they last as is. I listened to it for hours last night with no issues.
Back to top Go down
Dan Walker
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 26th 2020, 7:15 am

H.ere is some information about that maker of radio.
It might put you on to the information you would like.
  The radio will need the capacitors changed .
 Dan in Calgary
Back to top Go down
Moekeever
Beginning Member

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitimeJune 26th 2020, 6:44 am

Morning, I have the old Herbert Horn Radio. I don’t know much about it. It’s in excellent shape and turns on and sounds good. The dial lights up a rose red color. I think the cord has been replaced at some point. I was wondering if anyone has information on this radio. Thanks 

Herbert Horn Radio 3301df10Herbert Horn Radio 4eb17f10Herbert Horn Radio 8b02f210
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Herbert Horn Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbert Horn Radio   Herbert Horn Radio I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Herbert Horn Radio
Page 1 of 1