ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Aircraft Radio SCR - 59

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
atwaterkent
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aircraft Radio SCR - 59   Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 I_icon_minitimeNovember 27th 2020, 9:52 am

Later sets were modified with the addition of a tickler.
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: Aircraft Radio SCR - 59   Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 I_icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2020, 3:07 pm

Yes. That is the set. I had a chance to buy one at one time from a fellow collector and dealer. 

Was there a commercial designation for the VT-1? Since two of them were used as audio amplifiers I would expect them to have been "hard" tubes (high vacuum). Other than the filament voltage, I haven't found much data on them. Seems like all of the radios of that early period had "4 Volts" marked for the filaments. 

Just took a look at that Antique Radios link and it appears that some sets were regenerative and others were not. Also that GE tubes could be employed but with a small change in the socket wiring? What GE tube would that have been? Would the GE tubes have the bayonet pin in the right place same as the W.E. tubes or could that be taken care of by a re-wiring of the socket?

73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
atwaterkent
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Aircraft Radio SCR - 59   Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 I_icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2020, 2:17 am

I was able to get it up and running with VT-1 tubes. Good, tested VT-1s can run around $200.00. Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 Sam_2810
Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 Sam_2910
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Aircraft Radio SCR - 59   Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 I_icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2020, 4:58 pm

some of these even show instruction to operate, but you have to scan down the pages.

https://books.google.com/books?id=S7UoAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA195&lpg=PA195&dq=SCR-59&source=bl&ots=PphMJLb1XP&sig=ACfU3U2PPXDodBqR_S8_Ej2_AQ6xQC_JUg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZs4-Kz6jsAhV4IzQIHdujCvgQ6AEwFnoECBwQAg

https://books.google.com/books?id=fzIwAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA10-PA48&lpg=RA10-PA48&dq=SCR-59&source=bl&ots=Xl1hKCcUeq&sig=ACfU3U2qZI9x_sGmsaxV8jyoALWTmp_lVA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZs4-Kz6jsAhV4IzQIHdujCvgQ6AEwGHoECB0QAg

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=336017

https://books.google.com/books?id=1887AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA13&lpg=RA1-PA13&dq=SCR-59&source=bl&ots=5fVfSDoKbE&sig=ACfU3U37K2Dy6HS10ZzJ7hOoL2ExJy8Z_w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwie_OGP0ajsAhWVFTQIHYAfDVw4HhDoATAUegQIHRAC

Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: Aircraft Radio SCR - 59   Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 I_icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2020, 10:11 pm

I think I have seen the receiver component of the SCR-59 you have been describing. I used to be able pick up some WE VT-1 tubes at hamfests. Those that had good filaments usually were gassy but possibly good for detector use. Gassy tubes are critical as to plate and grid voltages far as trying to get some use out of them. 216A tubes used to be reasonable to buy at one time probably because back then (1970s) they were considered a broadcast set audio amplifier tube and not one of the WE tubes (205D) made for commercial service. One tube I never ran across at a hamfest was the VT-2. I was hoping to get one or two for an old time transmitter project or just to add to my collection of transmitting tubes. The 202 tube would be the equivalent for radio transmitter use but not easy to come by either. Still, I have seen them for sale on ebay from time to time.
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
atwaterkent
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Aircraft Radio SCR - 59   Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2020, 5:20 pm

Thanks for posting the link Chas. Still would like to find more info on it though, not much out there so far, but I've just begun to look.
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: Aircraft Radio SCR - 59   Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2020, 5:07 pm

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=336017&p=2815012#p2815012
Back to top Go down
atwaterkent
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Aircraft Radio SCR - 59   Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2020, 7:42 pm

I have two VT-1's and just bought two more. I needed three total but bought two more because the price was fantastic. If you want to talk expensive tubes, the Western Electric 216A tubes I bought for my Magnavox amplifiers were $350 - $400 each!  Shocked
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Aircraft Radio SCR - 59   Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2020, 7:27 pm

BTW, I think those VT1's are close to literally worth their weight in gold. I have never even seen one of them
Back to top Go down
atwaterkent
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Aircraft Radio SCR - 59   Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2020, 12:33 pm

Thanks Frank.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Aircraft Radio SCR - 59   Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2020, 9:08 pm

You might try doing a patent search for the schematic and such.
Back then they required a working sample for patent, and full details. Unless the Military decided different.

That is, I think a true hens tooth item. Congrats!!
Back to top Go down
atwaterkent
Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Aircraft Radio SCR - 59   Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2020, 3:48 pm

I'm getting a Western Electric SCR - 59 radio. I haven't found much on the internet, but from what I understand it was the first radio for military airplanes and came out during WWI. It uses three VT-1 tubes and there's an early version and a later modified version that added a tickler. I haven't found a manual and don't have a lot of details on what part of the broadcast band it covers. It does have an original drawing that's mostly intact in the lid. That may have more info on it. What amazes me is that's its in mint or near mint condition, the seller claims it was never used, not sure that's true but it looks it. Other than a little tarnishing of the brass its in amazing shape. I was wondering if anyone here has anymore info on it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aircraft Radio SCR - 59   Aircraft Radio SCR - 59 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aircraft Radio SCR - 59
Page 1 of 1