ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO  Empty
PostSubject: Re: COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO    COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO  I_icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2020, 5:24 am

I feel for you Cliff.  I've had the trembling following physical exertion much of my adult life.  it takes some management to adjust to it.  I have also fallen once.  I'm most vulnerable after waking.  There are exercises that are supposed to help prevent them.  I looked up some on bing,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's good to see you doing well with your BP and blood glucose.  Those can be hard to manage.  Let us know how the SDR is performing.

Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO    COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO  I_icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2020, 9:18 pm

CQ-CQ-CQ
Anyone Got there Ears On?

I'll Have to get my 2-year-old SDR hooked to my Computer Again.
It uses  A Tiny little Antenna
It does Wideband spectrum, AM-FM, Shortwave, Police etc.

Good Buddy, It's Nice when you get things on track. 73s

Since My 3 separate surgeries I haven't been doing well In Balancing and if I go too fast I start to fall going forward or turning.
It has taken its toll. I've noticed when I get exhausted, that when I'm holding anything small Parts of my Hands Tremble.
I am loosing weight slowly, fortunately and My Glucose and Blood pressure are doing Great. Likewise, I have only gone grocery shopping about every couple of weeks.
Furthermore, I haven't heard any rats gnawing or running in my attic, Hopefully for Ever.  affraid
That had me so worried as I had an exterminator rodent proof my house. Set out traps and poison. My neighbor found a dead one by His garage about 3 weeks ago.
I was very worried that there was a possibility that they would damage part of the wood supports in the attic and electrical wires and septic and water pipes. Kept me awake many nights! No Listening for chewing sounds. Every day!
Now that I have that all behind Me now, maybe I get well enough to start cleaning, sorting and storing my Radio and Electronics. cheers
I have a Scanner that has a burned out display light for my Yeasu FRG-100 Shortwave receiver and Scanner. Been a Ham since 1967 but put it on the back burner.

Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO    COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO  I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2020, 5:20 pm

I had been in the habit of turning on the old Magnavox when I'd wake up overnights.  I've started to pick up the handheld to see what I could get.  It snags up about the same stations as the old unit and it is interesting to dial in the SSB traffic.  It's pretty sensitive on AM as well.  I'll be doung some more with it as my free time starts to free up.

19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO    COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO  I_icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2020, 12:02 pm

Being used, it had no instructions.  I've just downloaded the manual for it.  i've tried it on the outside antenna and it performs pretty well with it.  One other nice thing is when using it inside with the whip antenna under my new chairside LED light, there is no noticeable RFI present on the radio.

19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO    COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO  I_icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2020, 3:30 pm

Will do.

Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO    COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO  I_icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2020, 12:56 pm

Warning: Some suppliers are offering aftermarket large ferrite bar antennas for our GP-5 Radios. The weight of the aftermarket antenna causes the AM Bar Antenna Input connector to break internally, losing AM reception. This will void your warranty. Sad 

I have considered that radio but I have a Yeasu FGR-100. even though I have not been active because of Rats in the attic (I bought services of a pest control which cost $$$$$) and getting over numerous Doctor Visits with 3 major surgery's.  I have used my SDR a couple of times.

Let us know how well your new radio receiver performs. Sensitivity, selectivity, battery time. Audio quality etc.

Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO    COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO  I_icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2020, 12:02 pm

The unit arrived and I can agree in size at least, it seemed like a toy.  It does however seem to be pretty well built.  I lead in my antenna line on RG-8 terminated in a type F connector.  I had gotten a type F to 3.5mm mono adapter and got pretty good results on my outdoor antenna.

19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO    COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO  I_icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2020, 7:46 am

I thought I would try it with my 50 Ft. antenna and see how it does.

thebeavt
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO    COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO  I_icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2020, 5:16 am

I have one.....In a pinch, they're OK. Not the hottest receiver, of course, but I do use it to listen to SSB.
The band scan feature is handy, and so is the thermometer.....It's a toy, but can be a handy one.
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO    COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO  I_icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2020, 4:57 pm

After going over the shortwave bands on the Magnavox, I decided I wanted to invest just enough in a receiver to be able to listen to some of the SSB traffic I hear. I found a used unit reasonably priced and decided to try one.  It will be a couple of days in coming.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO    COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

COUNTY COMM GP-5/SSB HANDHELD RADIO
Page 1 of 1