ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo   Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo I_icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2021, 11:41 pm

I should have mentioned to be sure the impedance for the transformer windings you are using as a replacement is the same or darn close, to the original.  EL84=6BQ5, IIRC. Not where I can find my tube manual, but likely primary impedance is around 5K off the top of my head. 

Be sure the screen bypass capacitor to ground is not bad on the dead channel, and that the capacitor across the primary of the output transformer is not shorted. Likely around .001 at 1.2-1.5KV. 

My first "paying" repair was to replace a missing output tx in a console stereo I got at the dump.
 A friendly TV tech in town sold me the output tx from a junk AA5 tube radio for $2.00 and told me it would work.

By golly, it did! If there was any difference in the sound , neither I nor my parents could hear it.

He helped me with parts several times over the years he was in business. I really appreciated it.
Oh, yeah, I sold the console TV /phono for a nice bit of change too.

Did you get your amp going yet?
Back to top Go down
MusicPound
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo   Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo I_icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2021, 4:07 pm

Helpful info.  Thanks
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo   Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo I_icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2021, 11:57 pm

Look up the needed impedance for the output transformer, and the wattage you need.
 Then look up what output tubes use the same impedance and output.

I have fixed a number of radios this way. Found a salvaged transformer from a junk radio & used it. I could tell no difference in the sound.

Hint: Always mark the output tube type on any output transformer you are saving from an old radio.
I also have a cross ref book from several mfgrs. of replacement transformers I use as a guide to determine what the value of an output tx is, if the tube is not marked on it.
Back to top Go down
MusicPound
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo   Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2021, 2:21 pm

Thanks for the info. Will follow up on your advice.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo   Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo I_icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2021, 3:09 pm

First off do you have the service manual, or schematic?
If not I would suggest a couple of things you can do.
1.  Go to Sam's PHOTOFACTS --
click on this link to see you can obtain the schematic and service data (and probably a parts list)
click here.

It will cost you $22.
Then you can use this to search several sights such as Hammond transformers.
Then you may be able to find a cross-reference substitute. Also you may find the specifications for it. You also can do a resistance test on the original transformer to find if the primary or secondary are either open or shorted.
Some times you can open the transformer case and look at the connection. Because of its age there might be some corrosion on the leads that has opened the wires. If you can see  the wire opened then you can repair the connection if it is available to see.
2.  There are companies that will rewind the transformer.
3.  Go online and look for Names like Thordardsen, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Chicago Transformer  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
4. Digikey Click Here
5. Thomas net Click here
6.  Triad click here
Also, some Parts Jobbers (Electronics) has old lists for conversions
Also go online and type in the tube number with the words vacuum tube or electron tube. The thing to look at on the spec sheet is the plate impedance. That will be the transformer you need to match impedance with.
Hope this Helps
Also look for audio and vintage stereo clubs and forums

Beginning Member

PostSubject: Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo   Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo I_icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2021, 10:41 am

Need advice in finding a replacement for one of the speaker output transformers in an Admiral tube Stereo Model Y6091. One transformer is not sending any voltage to the output tube and that channel is dead. The voltages on the working transformer: 209 Volts in, 194 Volts out to output tube (EL84). 5.8 V to speaker coil. Haven't figured out how to identify the correct replacement transformer.  Any advice appreciated.

(Not an expert but have recapped/replaced resisters in several vintage guitar amps & rebuilt electronics in a Seeburg juke.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo   Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bad Output Transformer in Admiral Tube Stereo
Page 1 of 1