ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Poor/No reception in new house- Xistor radios too

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Poor/No reception in new house- Xistor radios too Empty
PostSubject: Poor/No reception in new house- Xistor radios too   Poor/No reception in new house- Xistor radios too I_icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2022, 12:22 am

The outside TV tech (who was the tree climber) had just installed an outside TV antenna and a satellite dish and called the shop. "No reception in the house for radio" "You need to come and figure this out".
So I had a service call to these folks. They were favorite customers of the store and really great people. They had just finished their new home and had extremely poor radio reception in the house, EXCEPT in front of a window.

Turning the radio different directions made no real difference in signal. No real reception.

It took a bit of thought on my part. (I had done some remodeling years before with different types of insulation).
 AHA!! EUREKA! I looked at them and asked the dreaded question:
" Did you use FOIL BACKED insulation when you built the house?"
 Answer was 'Yes, we did".

So they basically encased the house in a Faraday Cage. I explained this to them, and we installed a vertical long wire antenna outside and ran a lead in to the house, then added a large wire loop to distribute the signal. Problem solved.

This same problem can also occur with metal shell mobile homes.

Sometimes you gotta think out of the box for a solution.
Back to top Go down

Poor/No reception in new house- Xistor radios too
Page 1 of 1