ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Common Transistor Radio Faults

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Common Transistor Radio Faults Empty
PostSubject: Re: Common Transistor Radio Faults   Common Transistor Radio Faults I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2022, 7:31 pm

Thanks for the input, Cliff.

Also I should have mentioned a nifty & cheap piece of test equipment you can build for testing battery draw. It will take you maybe 5 minutes to make.

Just take a small rectangular piece of double sided thin PC board and solder a wire on each side.
The wires go to your ammeter.
Slide it in between the end of a battery and the contact & BAM! instant current draw test.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Common Transistor Radio Faults   Common Transistor Radio Faults I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2022, 12:17 pm

On battery corrosion:
After using Vinegar, Then I end up using Baking Soda to neutralize the vinegar then flush with water.
I prefer using distilled water (No Minerals).

Also, You can Put a current meter in series 
with the battery to see how much the circuit is draining. Normally a range up to 15 Milliamps unless it's a power Hog then 25–30Ma.

FrankB

PostSubject: Common Transistor Radio Faults   Common Transistor Radio Faults I_icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2022, 8:39 pm

These are some of the common faults I have found over the years.

1. No Sound:
Look for open coupling cap to volume control. Also check the earphone jack. The switching contacts get dirty or bent. plus dead battery or it has come out of the holder and contacts not making.

2. Battery dies quickly or gets VERY hot: There is a cap across the battery leads (decoupling) after the power switch. They short. (This is true even in remote controls, and I have seen it in car radios also).

3. Motorboating: See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], same solution. Also can be main filter caps.

4. Volume control very scratchy: Clean or replace control.

5. Volume won't turn down: Look for bad ground off the volume pot.

6. Dead:    See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
 Look for bad batteries or leaking batteries that have corroded the battery contacts. If alkaline batteries, clean contacts with white vinegar, clean water, & dry. 
  Note: Don't always  believe the customer when they say " I just put new batteries in the radio a couple of weeks ago". 95% of the time the batteries were put in there months/years ago, and are dead/leaking.

Also some brands of batteries are just plain crap. I saw brand new batteries for flashlights that only worked for 1-2 minutes before failing, being sold to the State of Washington back in the 70's . Purchasing for the agency refused to get good quality ones. Test all  "New batteries" before installing. New does not in any way mean they are good batteries.

Last edited by FrankB on June 6th 2022, 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Common Transistor Radio Faults   Common Transistor Radio Faults I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Common Transistor Radio Faults
Page 1 of 1