ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Regency TR1-G The First Transistor Radio

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Regency TR1-G The First Transistor Radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regency TR1-G The First Transistor Radio   Regency TR1-G The First Transistor Radio I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 7:21 am

If your interested In the development of the transistor radio from Texas instruments point of view go to this link, to Me it was very informative.

click Here

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Regency TR1-G The First Transistor Radio Empty
PostSubject: Regency TR1-G The First Transistor Radio   Regency TR1-G The First Transistor Radio I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 7:16 am

On another forum someone wanted to find out about getting transistors for their portable. I did some research and heres what I came up with.

Post subject: Re: Need PhotoFact for Regency TR1-G

I did read that production methods required them to hand pick the transistors and match them with a matching capacitor for the 2 IF transistors. I did look up that type number of transistor and TI did produce the type number 100 and 101 for Regency. But Regency just designated an arbitrary part numbers, Depending on what schematic you have, as there are at least three
X1 = 100-626,
X2 and X3 + 100-767 and have matching caps c10 and c14 ,
X4 = 100-628

So there is no cross- reference that I can find. The only thing is they are all germanium and NPN.

So you might remove a good one and put it on a transistor tester for Beta and such.
you can have fun researching.
I looked up the patent #2892931 and heres the T.I. transistor numbers.
transistors 12 & 22 are TI-222 and transistor 58 is TI-210.
it also lists transistor 36 but it says resistance of 2,200 ohms obviously a misprint
The patent also has schematics and shows the two matching caps are 100-200 uufd. c10-c14.
hope this helps.

More info:
Transistors in the Regency TR-1
TI headlined its corporate advertising “the first transistorized consumer product uses TI transistors” claiming “TI has developed advanced manufacturing techniques that assure uniformly high product quality as well as mass production quantities.” [Electronics January 1955]

These transistors did push the boundaries for RF performance in 1954 and transistors had to be selected from production to ensure they met the specifications for each stage.

Production transistors were tested and selected for each stage. They were identified by colour coding yellow, red, black and green for the successive stages.

Stage -------------------------------TI Colour Coding----------------- TI Type Number

X1 Oscillator- mixer--------------- Yellow ------------------------------------- 223

X2 First IF-------------------------Red matched to a neutralising capacitor---222

X3 Second IF----------------------Black matched to a neutralising capacitor--222

X4 AF------------------------------Green-----------------------------------------210

TI headlined its corporate advertising “the first transistorized consumer product uses TI transistors” claiming “TI has developed advanced manufacturing techniques that assure uniformly high product quality as well as mass production quantities.” [Electronics January 1955]

These transistors did push the boundaries for RF performance in 1954 and transistors had to be selected from production to ensure they met the specifications for each stage.

Production transistors were tested and selected for each stage. They were identified by colour coding yellow, red, black and green for the successive stages.
--------------------------------------

Texas Instruments Data

Number
Type-- Construction-- Ge/Si-- Power Max mW-- Vc Max-- Ic Max mA Beta (hfe) Alpha Use
MC
100 Series
100 Point Contact 120 100 15
101 Point Contact 120 30 25

200 Series
200 NPN Grown Junction Ge 50 30 5 9 0.9 Low gain AF
201 NPN Grown Junction Ge 50 30 5 19 1.1 Low gain AF
202 NPN Grown Junction Ge 50 30 5 49 1.3 Medium gain AF
210 NPN 50 30 5 AF
220 NPN 50 30 5 IF amplifier
221 NPN 50 30 5 IF amplifier
222 NPN 50 30 5 IF amplifier