ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Rule of thumb for winding a coil for the AM band

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Rule of thumb for winding a coil for the AM band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rule of thumb for winding a coil for the AM band   Rule of thumb for winding a coil for the AM band I_icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2022, 8:29 pm

Ian, welcome to our forum.
By the way you don't have to put your address itself but you need to put What State and City you live in or zip code in your profile. So if you buy or trade postage rates can be figured or if there are club groups or events relating to Radio Stuff.
Do you have any formal training or just starting out?

Most AM broadcast frequencies normally use 300 mH. plus the variable capacitor which
will be from 350 mmfd down to 50 mmfd.

but if you want to make an inductor match as frequency, then you would have to know what frequency is desired / or required. you have to have two items that you have on hand.

Examples:
Enter the known Capacitor value
Enter the known Frequency value
Formula for fining Inductance L
L= 1/ C x ( 2 x PI x F ) Squared

Then there are online calculators to give you answers to calculating and construction of coils.

You may be need to look at some other web pages that have oriented online calculators.
Are you asking that a rule of thumb exists? There are also Nomograms (Shortcut visual charts instead of Calculators)
There are rules of thumbs for coils Right hand rule and left hand rule - Basic Electrical/Electronic text book stuff

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If my answers are not fitting your needs, then organize your inquiry(s) with more details or ask in different way.
Please let me know!

Beginning Member

Rule of thumb for winding a coil for the AM band Empty
PostSubject: Rule of thumb for winding a coil for the AM band   Rule of thumb for winding a coil for the AM band I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2022, 12:05 am

I am a relative newbie. A lot of the documentation around is great for telling you how many turns on a particular-sized former but don't say what value of inductance you should be aiming for. Is there a rule of thumb for this?
Thanks,
Ian
Back to top Go down

Rule of thumb for winding a coil for the AM band
Page 1 of 1