ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Oscillator coil woes....

Go down 
+2
wildcat445
Indianasteve
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

Oscillator coil woes.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oscillator coil woes....   Oscillator coil woes.... I_icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2021, 3:55 am

There are basically two types of mounting clips for the smaller, newer types of radio coils. They both snap into place in their chassis mounting holes being made of springy metal. One type employs a threaded shaft attached to an iron core slug while the other type dispenses with the shaft. The iron core being adjusted with a hex type alignment tool. If you do a search on ebay for radio and TV coils I am sure you will samples of each type.
Rod
Back to top Go down
taz91
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Oscillator coil woes....   Oscillator coil woes.... I_icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2021, 3:29 pm

Rod Clay wrote:
They can work fine but keep in mind that the generic replacement coils don't come with a chassis mounting clip on them as the older J.W. Miller and other make coils did. I needed one for a new antenna coil I bought from A.E.S. and ended up buying a NOS Thordarson replacement horizontal width coil just to get the mounting clip. It was easy to transfer it to the new coil. Good luck.
73, Rod  WB6FBF
What does the clip look like?
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: Oscillator coil woes....   Oscillator coil woes.... I_icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2020, 1:34 am

I was just checking thru the "Clearance Items" at A.E.S. and noticed that the replacement radio coils mentioned here have been moved to "clearance". So that is an indication they will be discontinued when present stock is gone. If if you have a need for any or just wish to stock up now is the time to get them. There has been a price increase too since I last ordered. Currently they are offered at $14.95 each. 
Note: These Antenna and RF coils have high impedance primaries-OK for Broadcast receivers but not the best choice for Communications receivers. Such coils will handle just about any kind of antenna without detuning the following stage. Just thought I would mention it. Good Luck.
 73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: Oscillator coil woes....   Oscillator coil woes.... I_icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2020, 1:19 pm

They can work fine but keep in mind that the generic replacement coils don't come with a chassis mounting clip on them as the older J.W. Miller and other make coils did. I needed one for a new antenna coil I bought from A.E.S. and ended up buying a NOS Thordarson replacement horizontal width coil just to get the mounting clip. It was easy to transfer it to the new coil. Good luck.
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Oscillator coil woes....   Oscillator coil woes.... I_icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2020, 12:20 pm

wildcat445 wrote:
AES used to sell a universal oscillator coil.  I have never used one, but I understand they work when nothing else is available.  You might try their website "tubesandmore.com" to see if it's still available. Good luck.
Just Checked and they are still selling.

FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Oscillator coil woes....   Oscillator coil woes.... I_icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2020, 7:15 pm

Wildcat- I stand corrected. I was thinking of something else.
Back to top Go down
wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Oscillator coil woes....   Oscillator coil woes.... I_icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2020, 6:57 pm

You don't need an oscillator coil on a TRF radio...........

Visit us at "classichificare.com"
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Oscillator coil woes....   Oscillator coil woes.... I_icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2020, 6:22 pm

JW Miller also made and sold "universal" osc coils.
 You will need to determine if it is a TRF or superhet though before ordering.
Back to top Go down
wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Oscillator coil woes....   Oscillator coil woes.... I_icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2020, 10:44 am

AES used to sell a universal oscillator coil.  I have never used one, but I understand they work when nothing else is available.  You might try their website "tubesandmore.com" to see if it's still available. Good luck.

Visit us at "classichificare.com"
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Oscillator coil woes....   Oscillator coil woes.... I_icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2020, 6:26 pm

Heres the Easiest instruction I know of. I have posted the link on the Announcement at the top of each page.

https://help.forumotion.com/t140030-how-to-host-an-image-with-servimg

Beginning Member

PostSubject: Oscillator coil woes....   Oscillator coil woes.... I_icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2020, 4:15 pm

Hello all,
I have a Sears radio that was working before I stored it for a number of years. Apparently got the proverbial visitor who chewed into one of my osc coils. How does one replace these not knowing the specifics of the coil. Nothing on the schematic identifies what it is other than the normal nomenclature (L101A). Is there a way to download images to a topic?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oscillator coil woes....   Oscillator coil woes.... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oscillator coil woes....
Page 1 of 1