ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Washing Machine Hoses Leaking

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Washing Machine Hoses Leaking Empty
PostSubject: Washing Machine Hoses Leaking   Washing Machine Hoses Leaking I_icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2023, 10:07 pm

Sounds like a simple problem and solution- right?

Not so simple repair when you are physically weakened by your disability.

I bought a new set of hoses- the spendy stainless steel mesh covered ones from my favorite local appliance store- the same ones they install. Top quality.

I turned off the water to the house and at the hose bib to the washer.

Hot water hose came off real easy. However the cold water hose- replaced about 13 years back,- had plated steel ends on it and not brass or stainless- had frozen itself to the hose bib. (Dissimilar metals).

I no longer had the dexterity to hold the hose bib with a pipe wrench and another on the hose. So I called a handyman to replace the hoses.
 It took him a 12" pipe wrench and an 18" pipe wrench to free the hose. He held the hose bib with one and got the hose fitting off with the other- and no broken pipes too! It was on tight enough to elicit an "Uhh" out of him. 

Job done, no flooded laundry area, and it took him 15 minutes- literally, to complete the job. Yes, it cost, but not having a flooded house was worth it.

BTW While he was doing the work, we verified that both hose bibs completely turned off the water to the washer. Sometimes the internal washer will fall out of the valve stem or become worn and not shut off the water completely. Belt & suspenders folks.
Back to top Go down

Washing Machine Hoses Leaking
Page 1 of 1