ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs   WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs I_icon_minitimeJune 21st 2023, 4:46 am

I have come up with a way to reuse pins from old battery plugs and put them in a disc of phenolic - they will be the same diameter and length as the originals. I don't really need a tube or cap around the disc for my purpose. I have found the correct numeric drill bit to use as a mandrel for straightening the ends of the pins where they had been staked, and the correct staking tool for putting the new plugs together.

FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs   WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs I_icon_minitimeJune 20th 2023, 10:55 pm

Dale- If you can't find the correct plug, you may want to do what I did.
 I took a piece of plastic pipe the correct diameter and cut a corrigated cardboard disc to fit into it.
 Then I found correct diameter pins (Off an old tube base, IIRC), and matched up the spacing and position to fit the connector.
poked the pins through the cardboard, and soldered wires to the pins.
  I then filled the pipe section with epoxy and let it set up over night.
 Still using it to this day.
One could do the same for the female end, but I think I would fill the female pin with grease or petroleum jelly to keep the epoxy from oozing into the pins. 
Just an idea.
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: Re: WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs   WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2023, 3:39 am

FrankB wrote:
Wouldn't the base from a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] tube work?
They are 5 prong and likely the same spacing.

Nope. These have a smaller pin circle than the 5-pin tube base, different pin spacing, and smaller pins as well.

FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs   WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2023, 1:39 am

Dale- Wouldn't the base from a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] tube work?
They are 5 prong and likely the same spacing.
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: Re: WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs   WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2023, 3:58 am

FrankB wrote:
I believe Motorola used the same pair on their tube TV sets with electromagnetic speakers.

I would not be surprised. I know that Eby and Auto Parts Company, and probably other manufacturers, made those plugs (and the mating female connectors used on the cables). I forgot to note on the original post that the photos are front and back views of the male (speaker frame mounted) connector.

FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs   WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs I_icon_minitimeJune 4th 2023, 10:35 pm

I believe Motorola used the same pair on their tube TV sets with electromagnetic speakers.
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs   WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs I_icon_minitimeJune 4th 2023, 1:21 pm

I am looking for some of these speaker plugs. They were used in my Philco 42-355, my GE F-63, and likely a number of other makes and models in the late '30s and early '40s. The area around the pins is recessed.They were bolted to the speaker frames and the speaker cables from the chassis had female connectors to mate with them. I need two, but would prefer to get four to have a couple of spares.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs   WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WTB Philco / GE Speaker Plugs
Page 1 of 1