ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
b7777
Beginning Member

Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement   Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement I_icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2024, 3:14 pm

I managed to bent the IFT back and make a shield out of foil. It sort of works now! The oscillator tube socket is very finicky, it only receives on the AM BC band, and makes a very loud crackling sound when tuning.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement   Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement I_icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2023, 12:23 am

That is T5 in the schematic=  first IF transformer.

Likely someone here can come up with a cross ref to a Miller or another replacement coil.
 The more information you can supply the easier it is to help you.

If the ferrite core in the IFT is cracked, they are fairly easy to find one of the correct dimensions to replace it with. Yes, alignment will be required, and when you get that one banged out, it may need to be readjusted.

The good news is that is, from what I can see in a photo as standard "K-Trans"JW Miller style transformer, which means that finding a universal replacement for an 1st IFT should be pretty easy.
 (Worst case, you might try a 1st IFT out of an old AA5 and see if that does the trick).

I have a case or 3 of NOS IFT's here by Miller & others, but no idea where it was stored by my fiancee before she was killed.

I will keep an eye out though.
Back to top Go down
b7777
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement   Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement I_icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2023, 4:52 am

The can is numbered "050-300531", it is the 1st IF. None of the windings are damaged, so I'll try to straighten the "straw" and can and maybe I can get it fixed.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement   Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement I_icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2023, 12:24 am

OK You need to find the part number on the IF can. Is it the first, or 2nd. IFT?

http://www.shortwaveradio.ch/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=manuals:hallicrafters_s-120.pdf

download JW miller catalog:
http://www.tubebooks.org/file_downloads/Miller_No-61_.pdf

Look up the IF can cross number.

Someone here may have one.

Yes, you will need to re-align the radio after replacing the damaged IFT. Above PDF has alignment instructions.

That being said, if the bakelite core is not damaged, you may be able to remove any damaged windings, CAREFULLY counting the turns- Write the number down!  Then using a micrometer, determine the wire size you will need to replace the damaged wire with. Friends who have done this said they scramble wound the wire on the core (auto radio), and coated the winding with bees wax.  Realigned, and I actually saw this and the radio working just fine. If the casing of the IFT is smashed, you will need to try to straighten it out & re-use it, unless you can find a replacement. The IFT does need to be shielded.

If JW Miller has a replacement  you can find, typically they come with the metal shield.

The loopstick is an easy rewind job, and again bees wax to hold the windings in place, rewinding with same gauge wire. If the loopstick is broken, General Cement- GC Products actually makes a special ferrite cement for this purpose. 

That all being said, that is a really common set and likely someone had a "hanger queen" kicking around for parts.
 Of note is that Hallicrafters radios IFT's had a large number of failures due to the small capacitor in the base having silver migration disease. Even if the IFT you can find has this problem, it is a fairly easy fix. many previous posts here and elsewhere on the way to repair it.
Hope this helps. please let us know how you make out.

Also post here in the wanted section for the IFT when you figure out which one you need. Typical 1st & 2nd IFT's are not interchangeable.
 Good repairing!
Back to top Go down
b7777
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement   Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement I_icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2023, 5:28 am

Hello, I have a new resurrection project. It is a Hallicrafters S-120 that has been dropped. 3 tubes went to air, an IF can was crushed, a plate on the bandspread tuning capacitor was bent (easy fix), and the loopstick antenna had 2 of the 3 wires broke off (hopefully easy fix). The straw thing that the coils are attached to is bent and can be fixed, but the can is crushed. Does anyone know where I can get a new one? Many people on old forum posts say oldradioparts.com but they don't seem to be open anymore.

Also I'm kinda frightened I will have to re-align the radio  Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement 1f62c .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement   Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hallicrafters S-120 455kc IF Can replacement
Page 1 of 1