ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Shorts in Tubes and CRT's

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Shorts in Tubes and CRT's Empty
PostSubject: Shorts in Tubes and CRT's   Shorts in Tubes and CRT's I_icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2024, 9:48 pm

If you have a short and can determine the shorted elements there are a couple of possible ways to "maybe" fix the tube.
 You can try to see the shorted elements, and carefully "rap" the tube in the opposite direction of the short. This can sometimes bent the internal support rods enough to clear the short.
 I DO NOT recommend this on CRT's. Way too dangerous.

I have used a charged electrolytic capacitor of 80-250 MFD charged up to 300-450 volts across the shorted elements. Sometimes it will "blow" the short out of the tube. Last ditch thing to try. DON"T USE ON FILAMENTs! It will disintegrate them.

On CRT's, I had good luck using the capacitor trick to blow out G-K shorts. About a 50% success rate. It saved many customers several hundred dollars on a new CRT.
 BTW, This trick worked when the shops fancy schmancy expensive CRT tester/ rejuvenator failed to do the job.
   (Of note- This NEVER worked trying to clear gun shorts in Sony and Zenith/Goldstar CRT's.)
Back to top Go down

Shorts in Tubes and CRT's
Page 1 of 1