ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Book found on Basic Radio Repairs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Book found on Basic Radio Repairs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book found on Basic Radio Repairs   Book found on Basic Radio Repairs I_icon_minitimeMay 29th 2013, 8:27 am

I did hear from Him thanking Me for My generous comments. But Nothing about permission to quote. I'm sure it would Help His sales, but I do Have the obligation to abide by copyright. There is in the law what is called fair use, but that can cause resentment and a can of worms. So I may just stick with other means and my out of copyright books and experiences. There are a lot of common Ideas for working on radios that are in the public domain and not subject to scrutiny, also if a author publishes a work and the Ideas have already been in schools and government publications then there is no problem. The only thing a copyright accomplishes is to protect an original work and its specific wording and new Ideas.

There was a show on TV yesterday ( Judge Marilyn Milian ) in that show went over copyright with an author vs. a Blog sight that was quoting Her and using what she had done which in the book, was take public figures and did one page descriptions of their Weddings and marriage of 365 pages

This couple started a blog and was sued by the author for quoting upwards of 3000 words.

Since the intent was not to gain by profit and it was to give ideas on a wedding blog, the author lost Her case, especially since Her work was over 10-15 years old at that point. And she could show no financial damages. She even had attorney (her husband) and did little for
Her to prove Her case.
-----------------------------------------
Another book I would suggest that I have and am currently going through is:
Profitable Radio Trouble Shooting by William Marcus and Alex Levy copyrighted in 1956.
Library of Congress card catalog # 56-8178
Well worth the cost!

PostSubject: Re: Book found on Basic Radio Repairs   Book found on Basic Radio Repairs I_icon_minitimeMay 28th 2013, 1:28 pm

Cliff-- "just sent Him an EMail to get permission to quote some material. I'll see what He responds with" and "After I finish reading it, I will contact Him and ask If we can quote sections of His book to offer explanations as to what was covered."

Did you ever follow through?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: another great book   Book found on Basic Radio Repairs I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2012, 1:00 pm

I would also highly recommend "The All-American Five Radio: Understanding and Restoring Transformerless Radios of the 1940'S, 50'S, and 60's" by Rich McWhorter.
It is available on amazon.com.
Rick has an excellent youtube channel by the same name;
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
And he has put out a free book on shortwave radio repair in pdf format available here;

Tom B
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book found on Basic Radio Repairs   Book found on Basic Radio Repairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2012, 2:20 pm

On the front cover of the Carr book is a photo of a Philco model 20 receiver. The two lower knobs (on-off and volume) are not original. The upper knob (tuning) may or may not be original; it's hard to tell in the photograph. I have this unit and listen to it all the time. When I acquired it, it had no speaker and needed a complete stripping/refinishing job in addition to cabinet repair. It's a TRF unit and performs excellently in comparison with a superhet. The Carr book has a lot of valuable information, of course, although I, myself,
prefer books that, unlike the Carr, have more how-to than theory, such as the Marcus & Levy and Albert Ghirardi works.
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Book found on Basic Radio Repairs   Book found on Basic Radio Repairs I_icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2012, 4:55 am

W8WHO wrote:
Here is another book I like as well.
Old Time Radios Restoration and Repair by Joseph Carr
A Tab Book 1991 Edition

Found a soft cover edition of this one at local animal shelter's annual yard sale. They always have a book section, which is the first place I check out. Good deal at $2.00.

Now, if I could find Corbin's book that way! Very Happy Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book found on Basic Radio Repairs   Book found on Basic Radio Repairs I_icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2012, 4:14 pm

Here is another book I like as well.
Old Time Radios Restoration and Repair by Joseph Carr
A Tab Book 1991 Edition

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book found on Basic Radio Repairs   Book found on Basic Radio Repairs I_icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2012, 3:30 pm

I agree on the Practical Radio Servicing Book by Marcus and Levy. I have it and it really helped me on the AA5 radios. I keep it on my bench with a AA5 demo set to refer to as I read the book. Kind of a test radio that works but lets me practice making certain measurments and tracing.
My great wife gave me the Alfred Corbin book for Christmas gift and I just started to read it.Looks like a good one. I love my wife! I have seen them on Ebay to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book found on Basic Radio Repairs   Book found on Basic Radio Repairs I_icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2012, 3:06 pm

I have no doubt that Mr. Corbin's book is very useful and helpful, and I hope to peruse it sometime. However, I believe that the finest book ever written on the understanding of and repair of AC-DC radios--especially for beginners-- is Practical Radio Servicing by Marcus and Levy (whose Elements of Radio Servicing, perhaps more well known, is likewise a marvelous text for repair of AC-only radios). Unfortunately, this superb volume has been out of print for many, many years, but one could search for, even advertise for, a copy. Just as M&L's Elements is available as a download here, I think their [i]Practical[i] could also well be downloadable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book found on Basic Radio Repairs   Book found on Basic Radio Repairs I_icon_minitimeApril 1st 2011, 6:30 pm

Al is a hecka of a nice guy. I recommend his book highly. Simple enough to understand, yet technical enough to be thorough.

He's an ARF member, if you can't get an email through to him, try a PM over there.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Book found on Basic Radio Repairs   Book found on Basic Radio Repairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2011, 9:40 am

Mr. Corbin does sell them on EBay, thats where I got mine for $13 + S.H..
I just sent Him an EMail to get permission to quote some material. I'll see what He responds with. Heres Hoping Smile bounce

Last nite "oops" I mean this morning, at 2:30 PST, I got my Scanner to copy a page into OpenOffice.Org.
I didn't know that I had a Mechanism to use the built in OCR machine. IT WORKS GREAT Shocked

I do have Out of copyrightright books that I can now do the same thing with. Smile Now that I know How. Embarassed

So with that, and My FREE voice recognition Program (Tazti) I can fly to the Moon (chuckle)

Getting back to the Book, It does have a section how superhetrodyne circuit works, but some stuff is not sinking in, and exactly how A.V.C. and negative biasing works with it.

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Book found on Basic Radio Repairs   Book found on Basic Radio Repairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2011, 3:56 am

Hi Cliff,

I'm still looking for a copy at a price within my budget. Nice to know there are some out there. I just went a tad over my reading budget these last 2 weeks when I found 3 books on early radar history that I've been looking for for about a year now. I hadn't planned on spending over the budget, but after looking for as long as I had and seeing them at the price that was listed, I went for it. Smile

Hopefully, I'll find Corbin's book in the same way sometime soon. I've always thought that if books on topics like this were written in plain English, we would probably have more people getting into this hobby.

Cheers, Bob
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Book found on Basic Radio Repairs   Book found on Basic Radio Repairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2011, 2:24 am

I finished the book, and Some of the basic things His book covers is what causes distortion, motor-boating, lack of volume, how to do alignments without expensive test equipment. Checking for faults.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Book found on Basic Radio Repairs   Book found on Basic Radio Repairs I_icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2010, 12:54 am

Alfred Corbin's Book (A modern look at ANTIQUE RADIO REPAIR)
I have wanted it for about a year, and found it at a price I could afford.
---------------------------------
I sat down this afternoon and read about 1/3. Seems to be well written.
After I finish reading it, I will contact Him and ask If we can quote sections of His book to offer explanations as to what was covered.
As a question and answer section.
I would like to use his book as a reference in our forum.
It is plain language and no difficult passages, Not a lot of technical theory, just practical steps to repairing radios.

PostSubject: Re: Book found on Basic Radio Repairs   Book found on Basic Radio Repairs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book found on Basic Radio Repairs
Page 1 of 1