ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Best Book for Introduction to radio for Beginners

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Best Book for Introduction to radio for Beginners Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Book for Introduction to radio for Beginners   Best Book for Introduction to radio for Beginners I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2021, 6:47 pm

I have a book that Members might be interested in purchasing on line,

Its Title is RAPID RADIO REPAIR.
by G.Warren Heath and Gernsback is the Publisher.
It covers every aspect of getting those radios repair and a ton of symptoms and there causes.
The index at the back of the book contains 4 pages and is in very tiny print (Because of the topics)

The cover is a green or grey cover with a Screen grid with a sine wave in the center and the Title printed in dull Gold over that.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Both beginners and Old timers will benefit from this book A ton of things I didn't know.
Both Tubes and Transistor Radios are covered in detail. Very well explained and easy to understand.
I have had this book for a few years, but never got around to reading it.

I am sorry I was using it to collect dust now. scratch

FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Best Book for Introduction to radio for Beginners   Best Book for Introduction to radio for Beginners I_icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2019, 5:47 pm

Fry is a good, and VERY prolific author.
Radcraft..Hmmm sounds like a Radio Craft Magazine publication, as a guess.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Best Book for Introduction to radio for Beginners   Best Book for Introduction to radio for Beginners I_icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2019, 4:08 pm

This book was mentioned on another forum. It had a glowing review.
Very Basic and comprehend-able explanations. Uses real life explanations as parables.
One example is a coil and capacitor along with a signal source.
He explains impedance and reactance and resistance.
------------------
"Suppose the series circuit of figure 701 (A constant voltage variable frequency generator) wired in series to a capacitor and a coil.

Then suppose we change from a vary low to a very High frequency.

Recalling that the reactance (resistance to the passage of a.c.) of a capacitor goes down with an increase in frequency whereas the reactance of a coil goes up, we can see that at a low frequency the excessive capacitance prevents much current from flowing through our series circuit. At the high frequency, on the other hand, our capacitive reactance decreases, but the inductive reactance rises sharply and still prevents a great deal of current from passing."
----------------------------------

My thoughts: So in order to pass the most current possible the coil and the capacitor (even though they behave differently can be designed so that there is a mutual frequency that allows both to pass the same amount of current.)
So if the generator has a value 100 volts output at 60 Hz and the coil has a value of 1 Henry and a capacitor of  7.03uf.
Suppose that the total ohmic value of the choke (coil) and capacitor is 100 ohms.
Calculate  using formulas  XL=2*pi*f*L and Xc=1/2*pi*f*C respectively that each has a reactance of about 377 ohms each.
Those reactances cancel each other and only the resistance of 100 ohms is seen to impede the flow of current through the circuit.

The reactance of both causes a voltage drop of 377 v. across each. Try measuring this with a 1,000 ohms per volt meter.
Now if you want to find the Q of the coil, which is to say is a ratio between the coils reactance and its resistance is 377v/100ohms = about 3.75

Title of book---Basic Radio Course
Radcraft Publications
Author-- John T. Fry

I was looking on the web and its so rare I guess that sellers are greedy and want several hundred dollars, but I want satisfied, so I found one for a total of $42 and that included shipping. The book was pristine except for some age stains. I haven't finished reading it, but every night I read a few pages (For me that is rare) study I cannot put the book aside as I am learning, (Yes believe it or not). lol!

Last edited by Cliff Jones on February 17th 2021, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Book for Introduction to radio for Beginners   Best Book for Introduction to radio for Beginners I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Book for Introduction to radio for Beginners
Page 1 of 1