ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Don't always trust that DMM on Junctions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Don't always trust that DMM on Junctions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Don't always trust that DMM on Junctions   Don't always trust that DMM on Junctions I_icon_minitimeJune 17th 2015, 9:11 pm

You could always add a current limiting resistor, just for germanium types, switch or separate clippies.

FrankB

Don't always trust that DMM on Junctions Empty
PostSubject: Don't always trust that DMM on Junctions   Don't always trust that DMM on Junctions I_icon_minitimeApril 10th 2015, 11:36 pm

Do not always believe your DMM when testing semi's.

The new DMM's put very little voltage and current thru the D.U.T. (Device Under Test for you newbies).

If you want accuracy, use an old style VTVM, VOM or a Huntron Tracker or a clone of it, or an "Octopus" to test them with.
 They will find a marginally leaky device, where your DMM won't.

I used to use an FE20 Sencore meter and it was great. Now days I use either a Huntron Tracker or the old Heathkit clone of it.
They find problems that no DMM I have ever used has found.

The only problems I ever found was with an "Octopus", it would put too much current thru germanium signal diodes and blow them.
 (An Octopus- and its got a couple of other names too,  is a 6.3V transformer and a couple of resistors that connect to the junctions and the display is shown on your oscilloscope.
There are several different plans for these on the 'net and in some of the electronics mags from the 70's.)
Back to top Go down

Don't always trust that DMM on Junctions
Page 1 of 1