ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

New bench Electronic Microscope

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

New bench Electronic Microscope Empty
PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2018, 5:42 pm

A engine lift or forklift would help I suppose.

here's the video I mentioned.
click here

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2018, 3:15 pm

Very useful info Cliff. Thanks. Maybe you should consider insurance if you plan on moving that again? Razz
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2018, 11:13 am

The AMScope and others are cheap, found online that some don't use tempered steel rods so they Gaul from the rod screws that hold them from sliding. The better ones use Brass sleeves and brass Worm drives for focusing.

I was amazed that the aluminum threads are rough to the touch. They can so easily be cross threaded or stripped out. I would suggest using either a very viscous or sticky oil or grease on ALL OF the threads. Even on the threaded caps and locking hand screws. Even a coating of lithium grease on the sliding Rods would be wise.

At the shipyard in the circuit-card lab we saw some of the same problems, even with brass fittings scoring without lubrication. I However I do understand the reason for poor quality threads. Lower Selling Price.

I would rate the Optics excellent though and  they do have a very wide field of view. Which helps a lot.

I have a LED Shop light overhead and that is more than adequate for lighting, no glaring off the circuit card.

I must confess though, after I assembled  the whole thing (without step by step instructions) however as I moved it from the kitchen table to my work bench, I lost my grip affraid trying to foist it up on the bench, but I was able to keep the upper head assembly in my hand as the base slipped, and fortunately I jumped back as it fell, otherwise I KNOW I would have injured my Leg and broke my foot.

Its Over 40 pounds, just in the cast iron base. The base really is very substantial which allows for extreme microscope extension and no tipping over.  So this allows for very large circuit cards and chassis examination.

All in all a GOOD Choice.

By the way I did see a YouTube video on assembly and a comment was made about it was easier to solder under the scope through the eye pieces because trying to look at a screen and soldering was disorienting as far as hand movements.

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2018, 5:16 am

Well, tax refund time will soon be here, so I am gonna start looking seriously at some of these. Don't think I need a real expensive one, and I like the idea of seeing it all on a monitor too. Decisions, decisions. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2018, 10:36 pm

Sounds great. I bought a cheaper one to look at my stamps with. Mine cost about $40.00 and is the exact same one several stamp supply sites are selling for up to $200.00. They even have the exact same "picture" of it.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2018, 5:20 pm

AMscope came today!

The Shipping Box itself was damaged. The UPS Driver was very Friendly and Offered to Stay so I could do an Inspection of Damage. He refused to let me Carry the Box because of its weight. ( 40# + ). Very Heavy, Did hurt my Shoulders and leg and back whilst moving it onto the dining room table. affraid
Took about five minutes to Get it all unpacked. He said if there was Damage they would ship it back as a refusal. 

But all was packed in StyroFoam fitting Cases. Whew! cheers

It had a booklet that showed  Several Microscope configurations. such as different pedestals and accessories.  Light types but no assembly instructions.
Took me awhile to figure out what part went where. Finally got it all assembled.
Made some adjustments and works great.

I am kinda leery about the threading in the tubes, as they are rough and not smooth. So I will take it all apart and use an axle grease that should protect from cross threading or Galling. Also where the Scope fits into the bracket, as the scope can rotate around inside the bracket ring. So as it's rotated it will move slowly.

it has 2 eyepieces that are 10X 
 plus 2 rotating objectives of 1X and 3X 
and a screw-on auxiliary objective of .5X

So with 10X and   1X__+__.5X = 5X   
So with 10X and   1X________= 10X  
So with 10X and   3X__+__.5X= 15X  
So with 10X and   3X________= 30X  

with a Focal length of 100MM (= 4 inches)

:cyclops:

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2018, 10:30 am

Well the reason I decided to get an optical one is I used to do extensive military circuit card repairs and field changes on a bench with an optical microscope. The only difference was I also had a Pace rework station with soldering Iron, heat tool for removing conformal coatings, a built in dremel type tool and best of all a solder sucker.

It made it so easy to actually look for cracked resistors, hairline cracks in traces and general tiny flaws. It was stable and easy to adjust. Where as the electronic microscope is Cheaply made with crude adjustments and a limit to the size of circuit card you can inspect. However there are certain advantages to the electronic microscope such as hookup to a monitor which would be great for YouTube Videos and portability. You can also store pictures on a SD microcard.

I did circuit card inspections and that would have been great for an instructional tool. Having to show students and apprentices without having to get out of the way so they could see through the scope and me trying to use a pointer under the same scope simutainiously.

I had to follow 2M requirements for circuit card repairs and showing many persons at the same time would have been a real time saver.

Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2018, 5:30 am

It looks well built.  Nice price too.

ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2018, 3:58 am

Great looking scope Cliff. A it out of my price range at the moment though. But, I'm looking forward to see what you think of it. Who knows, if I get e decent tax refund someday, it could be a possibility. Smile 

What made you decide on a newer/bigger one? Did you have any issues with the first one you bought? I'm still thinking of one of those.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2018, 8:24 pm

A follow-up on this topic.
I broke down my resistance and also purchased an optical inspection microscope.
I expect to receive it from UPS. around the 23rd of March.
It's an AMSCOPE brand with a boom arm. Which would allow for larger circuit card and radio chassis inspection.
It has several magnifications, 

Click here to see

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2018, 12:25 pm

I haven't used any of the features other than magnification, focus ( both rack & pinion & electronic ) and brightness. I did add a sidelight to see if it would assist in details, it did.
Other than that, I used it to examine solder joints and corrosion. The biggest problem I will have is getting a very tiny soldering iron such as a antex like I used assembling Tektronix circuit cards while working at Tektronix. The reason is that components are so close together burning adjacent parts is lessened with that iron. And for it's size it really puts out the heat without cooling down fast.

ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2018, 9:33 am

Cliff, how steady(stiff) is that camera when you push any of the buttons on it? What I mean is if you can take a snapshot of the image, would the camera move a bit when you take the photo. I have a couple of uses for this besides working on boards.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2018, 12:04 am

Try this. This is the one that looks identical to mine.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2018, 12:07 pm

Please put up a picture or two from it, when you can.

ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2018, 12:02 pm

Sounds good Cliff. Been thinking about getting one myself. Hard to tell which one to get though. Trying to decide if I should go with one that hooks via the computer or has its own screen. I know I want one with something besides a suction cup base. That's certain.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2017, 3:33 am

Thanks
Happy New Year
Moe
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2017, 4:33 pm

Here's one of many.

Click Here

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2017, 6:43 am

Cliff any chance of getting a link?

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2017, 1:32 pm

Sounds like you found the one.  A good magnifier can make all the difference.  It preserves ones' patience.

Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2017, 9:50 am

Just received it day before Christmas, it is very cheaply made, but it looks durable. I put a Zenith 500H circuit card under the microscope and was delighted at the results. It has a 4-1/2" focal range, the screen is 4-1/2",the magnification is varible up to 600 times. It can accept an SD card, will take movies, can be activated by motion. Three types of screen 1024-850_VGA. IN COLOR, CAN TAKE SNAPSHOTS. Also it has two types of focus, one is mechanical and the other is electronic pushbuttons. Built in clock and calendar.?

I think I will enjoy using it over a magnifying glass. Allows me to hold a soldering pencil and solder at the same time.
Cost me less than $70.00 and took 2 weeks from back east. cheers

PostSubject: Re: New bench Electronic Microscope   New bench Electronic Microscope I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New bench Electronic Microscope
Page 1 of 1