ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Radio finishes of 30s & 40s

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Radio finishes of 30s & 40s Empty
PostSubject: Radio finishes of 30s & 40s   Radio finishes of 30s & 40s I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2018, 11:23 pm

I was watching a program that talked about the properties of shellac and ways to improve old finishes.
Shellac comes from a Beatle. It is made into flakes. If the flakes are too old then they will never set and remain stickey.

To remove old Shellac which is dark brown or black use denatured alcohol and #'400 steel wool.Then sand to remove uneven surfaces. If you have deep scratches then apply wood putty for a filler. Sand after the wood putty has setup.

If the original wood is lighter in some areas, then apply the stain after sanding and cleaning all the dust with a cheesecloth.
If the wood still has areas that still remain lighter than the rest, apply more stain.
You can use stain with an artist fine pointed tip to apply to minor scratches to help hide those.
Shellac not only protects but enhances the wood grain, so you can add depth to the wood grain so it will almost glow with several coats. Shellac comes into colors the most used is orange or also called Amber. Then the final coat applied can be either a Satin or gloss. Or a mixture of both to get a semigloss finish.

Radio finishes of 30s & 40s
Page 1 of 1