ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Help Identifying Object: Military Radio?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Help Identifying Object: Military Radio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Identifying Object: Military Radio?   Help Identifying Object: Military Radio? I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2019, 11:38 am

Thanks for the ideas so far guys!

I'll try posting on a Navy Veteran forum about it, hopefully someone there recognizes it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help Identifying Object: Military Radio?   Help Identifying Object: Military Radio? I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2019, 8:52 am

ttevault wrote:
It has a belt loop on the side.
Seems a little rugged for a belt loop.  My guess would be slots for some kind of mounting bracket.

I'm thinking if you found someone who served in the U.S. Navy from, say, 1940 to 1970, they would recognize this.
Back to top Go down
Mihail-1
Beginning Member
Mihail-1

PostSubject: Re: Help Identifying Object: Military Radio?   Help Identifying Object: Military Radio? I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2019, 8:20 am

Version 1.
Terminal device alert. Principle of operation. In the holes are two lamps of different colors. A different combination of color of the glow indicates three events- VOICE, TONE, or RECEIVE.. This unit is mounted on a pole.

Version 2.
I would put Vidicons in the hole and I would have made a great video camera. Very much on the camera I'm trying to sell Smile
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Version 3.
In one hole laser (or infrared emitter) backlight. In the second hole photocell (or IR camera).

Version 4.
The case of the night vision device.

Inscriptions are more suitable for the first version. The case version is more suitable for versions 2, 3 and 4.
Sorry for bad english - I grew up in a period of stagnation in my country Sad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help Identifying Object: Military Radio?   Help Identifying Object: Military Radio? I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2019, 8:02 am

It has a belt loop on the side.  Because it had a three position switch maybe it had a toggle switch to switch from Voice to Tone,(CW).
One plugin for the earphones the other for the control cable. It could have been in a Tank, on a Ship or Plane. Even say a command post. 
Hope this helps. Just guessing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help Identifying Object: Military Radio?   Help Identifying Object: Military Radio? I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2019, 5:45 am

I'm certainly no expert, but if I were to hazard a guess, I would say a component of some kind of intercom system, perhaps on a naval vessel of some sort.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Help Identifying Object: Military Radio?   Help Identifying Object: Military Radio? I_icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2019, 3:59 pm

Hello everybody.

I hope this is a good place to ask about this, I'm looking all over the internet for any places that might be able to help me identify this object. I'm not the first person to try and identify it, it's been a mystery for upwards of 3 decades now. With any luck, you all can shed some light on this subject.

There are two of the objects we know of that exist. Both were eventually used as movie props, which is how we have pictures of them. But, what they were before being used as props remains to be a mystery. They were both found in the early to mid 1980s in California, likely at an electronic surplus yard like Apex Electronics. Both objects weigh 2 pounds and are made of aluminum. The only writing on both objects are the words VOICE, TONE, and RECEIVE (though RECEIVE has been sanded off on both, to accommodate it's use as a prop). Outside of this, we know nothing else for certain about either object, not even if there were ever any more in existence, as none have ever been found.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Because of the words VOICE, TONE, and RECEIVE, and how there appears to be a place for a switch to select between them, we believe it was related to communications somehow. Coupled with it's crude design and shape, it seems likely from some branch of the military. However, it's country of origin is unknown (just because it was found in California doesn't mean it was made in the US), as well as how the device would have looked when complete, as parts are obviously missing from it. 

Any help you all can provide is very much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Identifying Object: Military Radio?   Help Identifying Object: Military Radio? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help Identifying Object: Military Radio?
Page 1 of 1