ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Zenith 7s657R help

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Zenith 7s657R help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zenith 7s657R help   Zenith 7s657R help I_icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2021, 10:33 pm

Rog-
Disconnect the transformer secondaries and hook up a "Dim Bulb tester".( See postings on the Forum for description).  If it shows the transformer is OK ( Light barely glows) great. Also ohm from all windings to ground & each other for internal shorts. If light goes full brightness, & stays there, the transformer is bad.

If not, someone here can likely come up with a replacement transformer, or Mark Oppat (moppat AT comcast DOT net likely can find one.

The filters are toast, as are all the wax caps in the set. Be sure to verify all resistor values also.
 While you are in the set, it is best to add a fuse to the primary of the transformer.

the transformer will typically have a number on the top or bottom of the shell : 95 - something,

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel/383/M0025383.pdf
 Will get you the schematic. Pre 1942 radio. Schematic is from Riders Radio Manuals.

Let us know how you are doing, so we can confuse you farther. lol
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Zenith 7s657R help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zenith 7s657R help   Zenith 7s657R help I_icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2021, 9:33 pm

Yup black goo is a sure sign that something was shorted Like power electrolytic caps. Put a dim-bulb tester (Wattage would depend on power draw.)Then if the bulb stays dim, You might try measuring the primary and secondary windings to see if they fall in range, The final solution would of course replace it.

Beginning Member

Zenith 7s657R help Empty
PostSubject: Zenith 7s657R help   Zenith 7s657R help I_icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2021, 10:51 am

Hello, I’m new to radio restoration and have acquired a Zenith model 7S657R chassis 7B01. Me electronics background is from many years ago so I am re-learning on the fly. This radio has been sitting unused for years before I purchased it for 50.00 . The cabinet is is really good shape and will make a nice piece when finished. So here is my problem. I have removed the chassis and underneath from where the transformer sits is all this black sticky goo. I am going to recap and repl any resistors, but I am afraid that this black goo my be the result of a bad transformer. If so, how could I acquire a new transformer and how will I know what kind to get.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Zenith 7s657R help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zenith 7s657R help   Zenith 7s657R help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Zenith 7s657R help
Page 1 of 1