ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Merit A-4004 Transformer Data Wanted

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

Merit A-4004 Transformer Data Wanted Empty
PostSubject: Transformer Test Results   Merit A-4004 Transformer Data Wanted I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2021, 9:51 pm

I was successful in getting the transformer. It arrived here Monday morning. It looked like it was going to be something of an ordeal though as the seller had mailed it by mistake to a customer in Virginia earlier this month. The customer in Virginia hadn't even opened the package so it was a simple matter to slap a new shipping label on it and send it back my way. The seller also mentioned that he had "inherited a large collection of radio parts".

I offered to help with identification of his other transformers as much as is practical to do by email. Then again, I have tried in the past to send correct information to various sellers about their radio items. Most have thanked me for it but few have actually altered their listings to reflect the information sent.

Well, judging by the size and weight of the A-4004, I think it should be good for 20 Watts or more compared to the Merit A-3104 15 Watt replacement. However, out of the (4) tapped windings on it, one of them is certainly questionable. For one thing, the tap on that particular winding is open and the whole winding's resistance of 110 Ohms varies a bit on my (2) DMMs. It is a used transformer and may well have been cut out of someone's old homebrew rig. Also, I don't think the cross country trip was good for it. I am thinking of heating it up some in the oven to get the potting compound to reflow. I can tell that the transformer proper is moving around a bit inside the case which can't be good for the (12) leads going to the terminal board. 

Don't have any immediate plans for it. It is just one of those interesting radio items that I hope to put to use someday hi, hi.

Rod
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: Merit A-4004 Transformer Data Wanted   Merit A-4004 Transformer Data Wanted I_icon_minitimeMay 12th 2021, 1:20 pm

Thanks Cliff. That is what I was hoping for. It could have been a post-war production item from what you found. I used to have a Merit catalog from the 1940s when they were still in Chicago. It probably would have been listed there. The cased units were more expensive than the Shell type (DL). Sounds like the A-4004 is one of the smaller units. Could be used in a number of ways though. By the way, I took a look at that same online Merit 1951 catalog but didn't go to the last page like you did. I'll have to remember that next time.
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Merit A-4004 Transformer Data Wanted   Merit A-4004 Transformer Data Wanted I_icon_minitimeMay 12th 2021, 10:46 am

This is all I could find.
-----------
Transformers Deleted From Merit Cat. 4911 

Merit Transformer Catalog 5111 (February 1951)
Back Page 12
This lists a Discontinued Merit A-4004 Replacement as a A-3104
found on page 8

Universal Modulation Transformer
Tapped Series-Parallel Coils Provide a Wide Range of Modulation
A-3104 Pri. IMPEADANCE 2000-20000
Pri. M.A. Pes Side 50
Sec. Impeadance 2000-20000
Max. Sec. M.A. 50/100
Watts 15

Dimensions
H. 3-3/16
W. 2- 5/8
D. 2-3/4

Mtg. DL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Merit A-4004 Transformer Data Wanted   Merit A-4004 Transformer Data Wanted I_icon_minitimeMay 11th 2021, 6:15 pm

I wonder if anyone has a really old Merit Transformer and Coil catalog (from the Chicago production days). I am thinking that the above number (Merit A-4004) goes back to the 1940s. It is a cased unit with (12) taps on it. Not sure of the size-probably not one of the really big ones. Could be from WWII and surplus. A-4004 should be a standard type number for Merit but they dropped a lot of product as time went on. I am hoping that it is a multi-match modulation transformer. The "A" indicates an Audio type of some kind but that doesn't always hold with Merit products. Later Merit catalogs show modulation transformers in the A-3000 range.
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Merit A-4004 Transformer Data Wanted   Merit A-4004 Transformer Data Wanted I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Merit A-4004 Transformer Data Wanted
Page 1 of 1