ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Tell us please what finish you prefer.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Tell us please what finish you prefer. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.   Tell us please what finish you prefer. I_icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2012, 12:08 am

Most original radio cabinets were finished with a nitro-cellouse based lacquor, per my friend who wrote textbooks on woodworking, finishes, and upholstering.

TO's used an analyn (sp) dye on the cabinets.

I have seen nice results with Tung Oil on wood cabinets, but if I want to go to all the trouble of sanding, repairing, etc. a cabinet, I'll want the original type of finish on it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.   Tell us please what finish you prefer. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2012, 2:40 pm

My favorite finish is shellac, applied as instructed in the best book you will ever use about furniture finishing/refinishing: The Furniture Doctor, by George Grotz. The same author's From Gunk to Glowis also very useful and instructive. Try to find these publications and study them judiciously. Shellac is not as inexpensive as it used to be (what is?) but properly applied it will provide a refinish that is beautiful. And who is foolish/stupid enough to place wet objects or alcolholic beverages on a refinished antique radio? I mention this because inevitably someone recommends against a shellac finish because water or alcohol can severely damage it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.   Tell us please what finish you prefer. I_icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2011, 3:57 pm

A catalyzed finish will be more durable. Epoxy is great, but you must remember to thoroughly clean your equipment if you spray it, and use the proper respirator for the material you are working with.

I am about to start an S-40a, and I am thinking about having it powder coated. What do you guys say?
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.   Tell us please what finish you prefer. I_icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2011, 10:54 am

One thing I think would be appropriate for a finish is Epoxy paint on metal radio cabinets. In the Navy equipment it was used exclusive because of the environment, and harsh handling. It doesn't chip and is very durable. Of course it was Dove Grey, Or Army Green. We would use Krylon for touch-up, it blends very well.

But on commercial old metal radios use a primer first then Krylon spray paint. The manufacture has a rainbow of colors.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.   Tell us please what finish you prefer. I_icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2010, 10:50 pm

I have a A Radiola 60 that I obtained over 3 years ago, and with all ambition, I removed the insides, took it outside and with acetone removed most of the finish. I found that as I was removing the finish that the wood had a good patina from the leftover acetone finish mix.

I stopped at that point to consider the options. Well if I want it to be a shelf queen I wont go any further with it, but on the other hand do I want it to work?What a dilemma!

I don't know what condition it is in at this point other than there is no burned smell or corroded chassis and it seems that the only thing missing is the Speaker. I have a junker Kolster speaker, with an internal pot-metal frame that has fallen into parts. So I will have to find an audio transformer and PM speaker to fit inside. I don't know if I will redo the finish on the speaker cabinet.

PostSubject: Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.   Tell us please what finish you prefer. I_icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2010, 9:54 pm

Depends on the exact radio, but most of my sets have a nice coat or more of Deft clear, or a spray lacquer. Lots of filler and prep sanding and post polishing, unless they should be less than slick and shiny. Then a little steel wool gives them a warm luster but not too brilliant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.   Tell us please what finish you prefer. I_icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2010, 6:41 pm

I know it is a bad word Embarassed But mine is polyurethane , satin finish. Just seems easy to get , and make look good too. Get it ready stain, steel wool , coat , steel wool again, then one more coat, slick as glass. Cool
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Tell us please what finish you prefer.   Tell us please what finish you prefer. I_icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2010, 11:42 pm

There are many finishes, but few are favored I think over Epoxy types, such as Varnish, and Lacquer. There are many grades of Gloss, from High Gloss to satin, and then flat.
I have seen some finishes, that were done in haste, and have a lot smears, and dust right in the finish. And there are those that show meticulous pride. Those are the one the collectors search after, and can command higher prices.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tell us please what finish you prefer.   Tell us please what finish you prefer. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tell us please what finish you prefer.
Page 1 of 1