ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Tuning indicator high when not in tune

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Tuning indicator high when not in tune Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning indicator high when not in tune   Tuning indicator high when not in tune I_icon_minitimeAugust 4th 2022, 10:34 pm

I downloaded your Service Manual, and its not a good clear edition. I did find your Mute switch but the whole trace system is unreadable. Thar sounds like an unusual signal meter reaction. I will see if I can find about Problems and If I find anything you will know. study

Heres a good article on a variety of signal meter history and function.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

from my very limited observation on that article, I would think you might have a suppressor capacitor in the A.G.C. circuit area.
Now noise can overwhelm any radio signal as you know, so without your I.F. sections working there too could be a problem.

Is the noise in the local vicinity? (house? (Too many wall warts or computer switching power supplies ) or it may be noise from the power lines.
Is it atmospheric ?

Did you look to see if you have a broken wire or a cold solder joint. A power spike that may have damaged an I.C. or component?
And if you didn't have a static wrist strap wile touching any static sensitive Micro Chip then I think you will have a difficult if not a Impossible task.

Any shielding in the circuit? Maybe a defective ground or missing antenna. (unlikely though).

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tuning indicator high when not in tune   Tuning indicator high when not in tune I_icon_minitimeAugust 4th 2022, 10:01 pm

I downloaded your Service Manual, and its not a good clear edition. I did find your Mute switch but the whole trace system is unreadable. Thar sounds like an unusual signal meter reaction. I will see if I can find about Problems and If I find anything you will know. study

Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Tuning indicator high when not in tune   Tuning indicator high when not in tune I_icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2022, 10:51 am

Since my earlier post I discovered there is something called "mute mode" and it sounds like this is exactly what is missing or got broken. If I could only figure out which part of the circuit does that. Here is the service manual, which also has the full schematics.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I should also mention that recently the drum fell off the axle of the tuning capacitor so I had to restring. I was wondering if in the process I deformed the capacitor or somehow threw it out of tune, though it seems that the worst that this could do is an error in the frequency dial.
Back to top Go down
sheiretov
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Tuning indicator high when not in tune   Tuning indicator high when not in tune I_icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2022, 8:47 am

Hello, recently my Hitachi FT-M1 FM tuner developed a problem where the 5-LED tuning indicator shows 4 out of 5 when when not near a station, with loud "static", making moving between stations annoying. I'm pretty sure this is a new problem and it used to be that the 5 LEDs were meaningful, in that between stations I would get no or maybe two, and the static would be suppressed. Is it likely that some adjustment got knocked out of alignment? I'm not super familiar with FM radios. I'd appreciate some advice to point me to the right trail. Thanks!
Yanko
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tuning indicator high when not in tune   Tuning indicator high when not in tune I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tuning indicator high when not in tune
Page 1 of 1