ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Radio Hardware list

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
radiorich
Beginning Member
radiorich

Radio Hardware list Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Hardware list   Radio Hardware list I_icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2015, 10:24 pm

hello [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I have been there allot times those old screws are great and better then that Chinese stuff to
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Radio Hardware list   Radio Hardware list I_icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2015, 4:32 pm

I should add that buying by the box from a specialty company, such as Tacoma Screw Products, if you buy a lot, you might be able to negotiate a price.
 I was looking for screws  by the thousands, and the Tumwater Fastenall never bothered to respond to my RFQ, after I dropped off my page long list.
Tacoma Screw OTOH, was right fast in reply to my RFQ.

Another greatly overlooked source is Habitat For Humanity. They often get in boxes of screws, nuts, bolts, and asst'd hardware. You probably can't beat the price either.
 One of the local ones got in a tube tester, heavily water damaged, but the case alone was worth way more than the price I paid for it.
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

PostSubject: Re: Radio Hardware list   Radio Hardware list I_icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2014, 5:39 am

But I still end up needing to buy stuff I don't have.

I know, that happens to me too!
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Radio Hardware list   Radio Hardware list I_icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2014, 8:42 pm

One day I felt really machoistic and sorted thru over 300 lbs of old tv and radio hardware, screws, etc. I had saved over 30 years.
But I still end up needing to buy stuff I don't have.
Back to top Go down
MEZLAW
Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

PostSubject: Re: Radio Hardware list   Radio Hardware list I_icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2014, 5:15 am

I save as much hardware as I can from radio's which end up junked. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to that container and found just what I need.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Radio Hardware list   Radio Hardware list I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2014, 9:33 pm

Cliff,
In our area there are 3 good places to buy hardware in bulk that I have found (Now that Boeing Surplus is no more):
Tacoma Screw Products, Ace Hardware and Fastenall.

Based on MY personal experiences:
Tacoma Screw happily will sell you small amounts of anything they carry. You can get SUBSTANTIALLY lower prices by buying the hardware by the pack or box however.
GREAT service and very helpful folks, both in the Olympia and Tacoma stores. (The only ones I have dealt with). In fact, even in smaller amounts they beat the prices on the big box places all hollow.
 Ace Hardware charges, IMHO, way too much for what they have, but they are the only alternative here on weekends. They also carry some really oddball hardware items that no one else seems to carry in their nut n bolt section.
 The other co. seems to only really wants to sell by the pkg. or box, as per the salesman I spoke with.
I did request price quotes in 1000 piece lots on many items, (I was going to do a production run of some prototype guitar amps) and they never bothered to return a call to me, even though I asked at the one store 2X about it. :evil:

Both companies will however, sell you box lots for massively less than the "Big Box" hardware "We sell everything" stores.

I have purchased box lots of bolts, washers, screws, and nuts many times for less than the cost of a dozen pieces at the "Big Box" stores.

Last edited by FrankB on May 6th 2018, 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Radio Hardware list   Radio Hardware list I_icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2014, 2:12 pm

This is a list of what I have learned is the most useful for Radio Work.
In fact I am going down to my local Hardware store to see if they have this stuff. If they don't There is a company  here called Tacoma Screw (there prices are higher but its better quality), and of course you can go to Lowes or Home Depot or, one of my favorites is ACE Hardware. Then there is Allied Electronics mail order.

Hardware for Electronics
------
Screws
4-32 x 1/4 steel machine screw
4-40 x 1/4 steel machine screw
-------------------
#6 x 1/4 Cadmium plated self-tapping screw
#6 x 1/4 Bronze finish self-tapping screw
-------
6-32 x 3/8 steel machine screw
6-32 x 3/4 Brass Philips head machine screw
6-32 x 1/4 steel Machine Screw
6-32 x 1-3/4 steel machine screw
6-32 x 1/2 round head steel machine screw
6-32 x 3/4 round head steel machine screw
--------
8- 32 x 1 1/4 steel machine screw
-------------------------------
Nuts
4-40 hex nut
6/32 x 1/4 Hex Nut
8/32 Hex Nut
3/8 - 32 Hex Nut
-------
Spacers
1/4 x 1/4 Brass spacer for #6 screw
1/4 x 1/8 spacer for #8 screw
--------
Washers
#4 steel washer
#6 steel washer
#8 steel washer
#4 internal tooth lock washer
#6 steel washer
#6 internal tooth lock washer
#8 steel washer
#8 internal tooth lock washer
3/8 internal tooth lock washer
-------
Misc
3/8 rubber grommets
Solder Lugs #4 and #6
---------------------------
Here is a good hardware chart from Bolt Depot

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Cliff Jones on October 22nd 2014, 9:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radio Hardware list   Radio Hardware list I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radio Hardware list
Page 1 of 1