ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Magnavox 153B Console

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

Magnavox 153B Console Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2018, 3:20 pm

Last weekend, a thunderstorm brewed up before I had the chance to disconnect the antenna lead in.  I saw a flash outside and heard a snap come from the rear of the console.  I reckon a induced spike jumped the gap from the antenna to ground.  Thankfully, the console was spared any damage.  Did some hunting around the shortwave dial Sunday evening and got Radio Romania and a number of other foriegn language stations.  Plenty of traffic in the amateur regions too.

19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2017, 4:39 pm

yeah. that guy is splattered all over the dial.  You get a good antenna, there are still good things to pick up.

wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2017, 12:59 pm

Most of what I get around here with my wonky antenna is preaching.  I need to get my antenna diagnosed and fixed.  There has got to be a break in it somewhere, I just have not taken the time to find it.

Visit us at "classichificare.com"
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2017, 4:10 am

Last weekend, tuning around on the shortwave, I got Voice Of Vietnam radio on 6175.  it came in very nicely with good quieting.

wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2017, 8:41 pm

Got it.  Whichever way you choose should prove interesting.  Keep us informed of your progress, maybe with some more pictures?

Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2017, 7:32 am

I am considering one of two ways to do this.  Either cut the two sides from the current frame, trim them down to fit under the new frame, cut off the flanged portion of the new ones' sides and fasten them to the new frame and fasten the slides to the old sides on the new frame  OR  make a neat cut in the old frame top, cut out the same area of the new and weld it into the old frame, then cut away the tabs that are welded on the old frame.  If I do much less than this, It will show and I don't think either you nor I would be really satisfied with the results. Wink

wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2017, 6:46 am

Is that part on the replacement that you got?  Could you use the entire side from the replacement and put it on the original motor board?  Do you know anybody with a spot welder?  It appears to me that the motor board was originally put together out of four parts.  How critical is the socket for the suspension spring?  The later Collaro changers do not use that socket, just have a hole in the wooden board.  Could you somewhat re-create that socket by using a punch on the center of a washer?  JB Weld would hold the punched, coned washer to the metal frame.

Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeMay 9th 2017, 7:06 pm

The only drawback is that the missing portion has a socket for 1 of 3 isolation spring supports for the t/t.  It needs to have that replaced.

wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeMay 9th 2017, 6:55 pm

I'm not sure you need to weld it.  I'd try pop riveting it.  Cheap, easy, and I really don't think it would show, particularly by the way it sets in the cabinet and how the changer fits.  Get a piece of metal out of  something as innocuous as a steel drink can, like an orange juice can.  Cut it a bit larger than that cut out place and rivet it in, then paint it.  If you didn't like that, you could always undo it easily and try something else.  Or cut the replacement one up and use one side of it.  You could get a small corner brace at a hardware store and rivet the two pieces together.  We used to do this all the time in the car restoration business.  Good luck.

I'm glad your memory is better than mine.  I was looking on a radio forum.  Duh!

Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeMay 9th 2017, 5:49 pm

It was by E mail.  I have thought about it.  I have been considering the purchase of a wire feed welder at Harbor Freight and trying to perform the repair myself.  I guess the least involved and riskiest fix would be to graft a replacement section with mounting point on the frame.  I've never welded before.

wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeMay 9th 2017, 5:27 pm

I thought I replied to that topic, but I can't seem to find it.  I made suggestions on how it might possibly be fixed.  Did you read my comments, and would that work?  Good luck.

Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeMay 8th 2017, 11:25 am

My current project with the console is to install an OEM type record changer.  At some time in the past the slide out drawer frame that carries the changer has been modified as to render it unusable for the original changer.

19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeMay 5th 2017, 8:15 pm

I believe there were 3 orientations: sideways as in the one pictured, inverted and upright.  I guess, being an option, they had to be versatile.

wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeMay 5th 2017, 5:26 pm

That FM tuner must be fairly rare.  That is the only one I've seen oriented like that one.

Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeMay 5th 2017, 11:42 am

Here is a picture of the unit with the FM tuner in the hutch.

Magnavox 153B Console 20151210

wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeMay 4th 2017, 7:16 pm

Good to see you here!  Perhaps we can help each other learn how to post pictures.  You have an impressive instrument that I'm sure pictures of would be welcome.

Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitimeMay 4th 2017, 6:36 pm

Please excuse my extended absence from the site, I hope to have more time to spend here to share and learn.  During my absence, I purchased an old Magnavox console with an AM/SW receiver and a hidden FM tuner.  I've performed a cleanup and replaced the paper and electrolytic capacitors, as well as a couple of trimmer capacitors that were P'd on during it's 70 years.  I also had to patch a hole in one of the field coil speaker cones, the result of something thrust through the grille work.   I've set up a hidden 50 ft. wire antenna and a 8ft. 1/2" ground stake tied to the shield of a coax lead in  that also serves as the antenna ground.  It has been my primary project in both restoration and use over the last couple of years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magnavox 153B Console   Magnavox 153B Console I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Magnavox 153B Console
Page 1 of 1