ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Chassis Punches-- Check sizes before buying

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ve1arn
ve1arn

Chassis Punches-- Check sizes before buying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chassis Punches-- Check sizes before buying   Chassis Punches-- Check sizes before buying I_icon_minitimeJune 9th 2019, 3:46 am

Maybe expensive initially, but over the long run, if you have to keep buying a replacement to replace a broken on one, there really isn't that much difference. You also have the comfort in knowing it's gonna work every time you use them too.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

Chassis Punches-- Check sizes before buying Empty
PostSubject: Chassis Punches-- Check sizes before buying   Chassis Punches-- Check sizes before buying I_icon_minitimeJune 8th 2019, 6:05 pm

I am noticing that at garage sales there are often chassis punches in sets, dirt cheap. $15.00 a set or so.

Well, be sure to check the sizes.

Most often they are ELECTRICAL BOX knockout punches.
 They DO NOT fit tube socket sizes for the most part.
Typically you will find them in a leather conical shaped roll pouch.

IIRC, maybe only one punch size in it is the same as a tube socket punch. Also they are often very worn out or dull.

If you buy the chassis punches that are imported, often they do not work well on steel chassis. I actually broke off the bolt on one cutting a steel radio chassis, rendering the entire set unusable, until I can find a replacement. THEN often they are in metric sizes too, not SAE.

Personally, I find it well to stick to Greenlee or Pioneer brand punches.
You can readily get spare parts for Greenlee from most electrical supply houses.
  Yes, they are quite expensive, but you can find them at ham fairs reasonably priced, as few folks today build equipment that requires them. You get what you pay for on chassis punches.
 My imported set did OK on thin aluminum chassis though.
Back to top Go down

Chassis Punches-- Check sizes before buying
Page 1 of 1