ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Buying radio parts directly from China

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

Buying radio parts directly from China  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying radio parts directly from China    Buying radio parts directly from China  I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2020, 6:08 pm

As a follow up, I got a "New Items" flyer from Antique Electronic Supply that featured a screw-on threaded adapter kit for the modern pots. The result is that they can then be used to replace the older style pots. Also included is a small slip-on metal cylinder to change the split shaft controls up to 1/4" size for knobs that take a set screw. I haven't had a chance to get one of these kits yet so first hand information will have to wait.
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
thebeavt
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Buying radio parts directly from China    Buying radio parts directly from China  I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2020, 3:51 pm

I get a few things from China now and then.
These are great tips, thanks !

Paul N2VBK

Last edited by thebeavt on June 5th 2020, 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Buying radio parts directly from China    Buying radio parts directly from China  I_icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2020, 2:42 am

I thought I would share some of my recent experiences of buying radio parts directly from China based sellers. 

First of all, most of these parts are made to metric world standards and not our traditional US standards and cannot be used as direct replacements in older equipment. This includes such basic things as knobs (6 mm) that won't fit our 1/4" shafts. Then there are the low priced 5 mm X 20 mm glass cartridge fuses that may not work (make good contact) in fuse holders designed and made for 1/4" X 1 1/4" 3AG or AGC fuses. 

Second, many new parts are only made overseas now and some substitutions and rework of equipment may have to be done to keep our equipment operating. Example: recently, I bought some 100K and 250K Ohm pots from China based sellers to repair a couple of grid dip meters that had bad sensitivity controls. The 100K units are miniature ones. The 250K pots are standard size. The threaded collars on the modern standard units are smaller than the older pots so some use of washers, etc. may be needed. In cases of older miniature transistor radio style pot replacements: it may be necessary to drill out a panel or chassis hole to take the larger threaded bushings on even the smallest modern pots. Then there is the need on both styles to buy new push-on knobs made to fit these parts. The modern pots are mostly made for push-on style knobs. Pots are made with standard solid round shafts to take knobs that use a set screw but the shafts are usually only 6 mm and require new knobs as well to fit properly. So beware of this fact when choosing replacements.

Here are some suggestions too for shipping from China. Stay away from choosing China Post or other post office based shipping services in the far east region (another cheap shipping service I've seen used: Mongolian Post). These services are very poor, slow, and unreliable. 2 - 3 month delivery times are not unknown. I suspect surface mail is used here for all packages sent by these government services. If the free shipping is by "SpeedPak" then it is good as the processing is fast and it goes by Air once it leaves China. It is reliable and the tracking works. Tracking of the post office based shipping services generally does not work. So I suggest to avoid most of the free economy shipping options and pay extra for SpeedPak or other services that ship by Air. Hope this helps.

73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying radio parts directly from China    Buying radio parts directly from China  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buying radio parts directly from China
Page 1 of 1