ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Large filter box issues...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Indianasteve
Beginning Member

Large filter box issues... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Large filter box issues...   Large filter box issues... I_icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2020, 10:41 am

Thanks Rod. I will try the freeze option and see how it works. Thanks for the insight. Have a couple of chassis a head of it.
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: Large filter box issues...   Large filter box issues... I_icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2020, 2:07 pm

I did that recently with an All American potted audio impedance coupling unit (Auto Transformer). It can get pretty messy with the tar compound that was used. The tar is somewhat easier to work with when it is in a plastic state (warm to hot). The alternative is to freeze the can and then the whole "block" of components will then slide out. The fun comes in separating them. Depending on how the can was constructed you might have to unsolder the lid or one end of the can to get access to the insides.

The leads on the filter choke may be rather thin and delicate and you need to take care that they don't get pulled out of the coil or broken. This is also true with any potted audio transformers. 

In the case of the All American audio coupler, I managed to loose one of the terminal screws in getting it out of the can. I opened it up because the paper coupling capacitor in it had gone bad.  It looks like they used one of their standard audio transformers connected as an auto-transformer with a coupling capacitor and grid-leak resistor added for the following audio stage's grid circuit.

73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
Indianasteve
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Large filter box issues...   Large filter box issues... I_icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2020, 1:17 pm

Hello All,

Back into radio collecting after an absence of many years. Retired so now I have time. I have a Majestic chassis 30 that has a very large filter box as many of the early AC radios had. I want to replace the caps which I can do externally but there is also a choke embedded in the box too. Should I heat the box and hope it all slides out? What would you guys do?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Large filter box issues...   Large filter box issues... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Large filter box issues...
Page 1 of 1