ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Measuring Filter Hum Without a Scope.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
radiorich
Beginning Member
radiorich

Measuring Filter Hum Without a Scope. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Measuring Filter Hum Without a Scope.   Measuring Filter Hum Without a Scope. I_icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2023, 5:58 pm

Hello Frank,
Yes that is a great tip and I use it all the time quick and easy !
I just used that while testing a old camcorder switch mode powersupply made by Panasonic.

Sincerely Richard
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

Measuring Filter Hum Without a Scope. Empty
PostSubject: Measuring Filter Hum Without a Scope.   Measuring Filter Hum Without a Scope. I_icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2023, 10:36 pm

Did you know you can measure the AC component of DC voltage on a bad filter capacitor in a radio or TV set simply by putting your VTVM/DVM in AC volts and seeing the "hum" voltage?

Saves a lot of time and guesswork. And you don't have to dig out a scope. 

This is a great trick to know for you who are new to the hobby, if you are not sure if your filter cap is bad or not. With a bit of experience, you will learn just how much is "acceptable" AC and how much is not. The lower the AC component riding on the DC, the better the supply., or the "more pure" the DC is.

It can be a good learning experience to hook up various old filter capacitors and see just how leaky they are, or how open they are.
Back to top Go down

Measuring Filter Hum Without a Scope.
Page 1 of 1