ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Problem with topic Warning

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Problem with topic Warning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problem with topic Warning   Problem with topic Warning I_icon_minitimeJune 20th 2020, 1:11 pm

Our Internet provider (Century Link) Change Security software for users, from Nortons to McAfee's.
Everything is now working as it should. cheers

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Problem with topic Warning   Problem with topic Warning I_icon_minitimeJune 6th 2020, 1:02 am

I have had that problem also a couple of times, I run 4 Hard drives and two of them do auto backups. I have never needed the back ups, but trying to be safe then sorry.

Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: Problem with topic Warning   Problem with topic Warning I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2020, 8:33 pm

OK but I have been in situations where I could not close down the browser in the usual way! Couldn't get to task manager either. The hijacker was intent on getting a payment out of me to "fix" my computer so in those cases a forced shutdown was all I could do to get out of it.
Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Problem with topic Warning   Problem with topic Warning I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2020, 8:10 pm

You don't have to do a shutdown just close the browser down. My best way is using the task manager to disable. I have tried to delete Google chrome and its solidly entrenched. Tried several internet suggestions and none work. Even task manager. I guess the next step is try deleting it in the safe mode. However I will not touch the registry.

Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: Problem with topic Warning   Problem with topic Warning I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2020, 8:03 pm

OK. Fine. Well, I have certainly run into re-directors before and the like. I have also had some malware in the past responsible for very stubborn pop up web pages that I don't want to see and find hard to close. I usually open task manager and get that to close the offending, pesky page. That is if I can get to the task manager. If not, I will hold down the power button to force the computer to shut down then try to figure it out next time I power it up. I do try to be careful about clicking on links but click on many anyway when I am searching for some radio information I need.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Problem with topic Warning   Problem with topic Warning I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2020, 6:31 pm

Rod Clay wrote:
What is this all about? What was the post that was deleted? How could a post be a threat to anyone's computer? 
Rod
P.S. No such problems here.
Rod it was about Calculators and a link was offered, ( https://antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com/t1420-if-you-know-how-to-use-an-rpn-calculator) it maybe was a false positive but its happened to other posts also. 

Sometimes there is a link that is nefarious and redirects, and sometimes the link is actually a executable which makes it suspect. It has been very hard to get out of the browser even trying to go back to the previous topic. As they want to keep you from going on to another sight. That's what some malware does intentionally.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Problem with topic Warning   Problem with topic Warning I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2020, 8:33 am

I don't know because I have been using several different browsers in the past. The only time I have had problems is when Windows 10 first came out. My Financial institution was the first that suggested I change browsers. So online Logins were a bear. I am going to delete Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, and MS Edge. Of course only one at a time.

I will also Do the same with Norton's, CCleaner, Glary's, and Malware Hunter.
Clean up the registry, and hopefully that should make a difference. I have Notified Both Norton's and Forumotion.com but I think that will do little good. I may reset My firewall and even start using MS Windows Defender (firewall and virus checker). (forget its name but it always has had no issue on any of my computers.

I will go into Task Manager and inactivate each in turn as I know having more than one running at a time can cause conflicts. ( I had forgotten about that causing conflicts  Embarassed)

I will see if that also makes any improvement .
I Did see that my Centurylink dropped Norton's for McAfee's. It wasn't an easy transfer As My Email wasn't recognized by Centurylink so I had to use Chat. Shocked

Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: Problem with topic Warning   Problem with topic Warning I_icon_minitimeJune 4th 2020, 1:30 pm

What is this all about? What was the post that was deleted? How could a post be a threat to anyone's computer? 
Rod
P.S. No such problems here.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Problem with topic Warning   Problem with topic Warning I_icon_minitimeJune 4th 2020, 10:03 am

NOPE
Its Norton's Warning is back again on several different posts on my desktop.
I have tried using Norton's to scan my computer, on quick scan, it finds nothing.
one of them is on RPN Calculators
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
nothing I do corrects the problem. Even notified Norton's of the issue. Nothing back from them.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Problem with topic Warning   Problem with topic Warning I_icon_minitimeJune 1st 2020, 7:54 pm

Figured out the issue today!
I tried the link as an exe file, while it worked to start, then I went back to the topic and that when both Norton's and Firefox refused with a warning.
When I used the link Icon and added the words Click here they no longer saw the exe file [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] only the click here words. Very Happy

Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: Problem with topic Warning   Problem with topic Warning I_icon_minitimeJune 1st 2020, 7:44 am

IMHO I suspect there was some sort of code hidden.

I occasionally see that in filtered spam by Comcast in my email account. The "normal" "Delete Spam" does not work. So an outright deletion has to be done.

Chas
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Problem with topic Warning   Problem with topic Warning I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2020, 8:07 pm

That is weird. This has happened a few times. Wonder if it is a bug in Nortons?
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Problem with topic Warning   Problem with topic Warning I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2020, 3:38 pm

Somehow the topic that was posted here was always getting a warning alert. From Nortons, so I deleted the post. I put a notice to Help to Forumotion Team, but found no response. I had a hard time editing and today I just deleted the posting.

PostSubject: Re: Problem with topic Warning   Problem with topic Warning I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Problem with topic Warning
Page 1 of 1