ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Silvertone model 6092 console stereo

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wildcat445
Technician
Technician
wildcat445

Silvertone model 6092 console stereo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Silvertone model 6092 console stereo   Silvertone model 6092 console stereo I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2020, 4:55 am

This stereo belongs to a lady at work.  She bugged me for eons to "take a look at it" for her.  Silly me......

The filter cap can does not have anything that indicates the can would be negative, hence my question.  The filter cap can is mounted under the wheel for the FM tuner, not a terribly handy spot, so I'll have to mount replacement caps on a terminal strip.  There appears to be room to do that.  There appears to be 14 electrolytic caps in this chassis.  I'm not sure it needs them all replaced, but they look easy enough to do, and I want to learn something, so I'll replace them all.  The polarity is marked on all except the filter cap can, so that's a help.  

Thanks for your input.  Now I reckon I'll have to order some caps.

Visit us at "classichificare.com"
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone model 6092 console stereo   Silvertone model 6092 console stereo I_icon_minitimeJune 17th 2020, 9:45 pm

A note on "jumping filters".

If you jump a filter in place- that is to say not disconnected- it can sometimes "heal" the bad filter.
 I didn't believe this until it happened to me.

So ALWAYS disconnect one terminal of the suspected bad filter, and THEN attach a known good one BEFORE applying the power. This way there is no chance of damaging components with the "surge" of a new cap being suddenly connected while the unit is powered on.
I learned this the hard way decades back when I was servicing full time.

Also be sure to check the ESR of the capacitors. Yes, even new ones. I have tested new 'lytics, only to find they had dried up and had bad ESR. All 'lytics are not the same, quality wise.

Look for any "brown glue" holding the filter to the board and remove it. It can become conductive.

On older units, if you smell "rotting fish" the capacitors have the bad formula electrolyte in them, and must be replaced. That electrolyte will corrode the circuit board.
Back to top Go down
Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone model 6092 console stereo   Silvertone model 6092 console stereo I_icon_minitimeJune 17th 2020, 9:13 pm

I would say that a piece of equipment of that age (55 years+) would need the filter caps replaced whether it is solid state or tube type. While not necessarily leaky, the filter caps are likely to have lost capacitance and become inefficient in general. Hum is usually the result. The supply voltages may also be somewhat low as well. To check them out you could try bridging each suspect cap with a known good one and see what happens. Sometimes it is better to disconnect a lead one at a time from the can cap section in question and hooking in a substitute with clips leads for testing purposes. Regarding the connections, usually they are clearly marked on can caps. Almost all can caps have been common negative to the can but exceptions to this rule could occur. Check out the can and the circuit as best as you can to be on the safe side. If the transistors are mostly PNP types then positive may be the common ground connection from the power supply rather than negative as it would be for mostly NPN transistors.
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone model 6092 console stereo   Silvertone model 6092 console stereo I_icon_minitimeJune 17th 2020, 6:28 pm

There are several model numbers that have the same chassis #.
Beitmans shows model 6092 as a tube set. Boy that's a fluke.
-------------------------------
models 6090A-6091-A6092A
In sears technical Manual Division 57
Radio Chassis # 548-10001
Part No. Lit.614 V1-BM95
----------------------------
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I haven't found that schematic, however just sticking to the stereo consoles that were transistors, all the power supply caps show negative to ground. are the metal can or axial poly caps? I would assume that if metal the shell is ground (-)

Technician
Technician
wildcat445

PostSubject: Silvertone model 6092 console stereo   Silvertone model 6092 console stereo I_icon_minitimeJune 17th 2020, 2:28 pm

I've never worked on anything solid state to amount to anything, EVER.  I have this old stereo, circa 1965 that has a hum not controlled by the volume control.  If it were tube, I'd say it needed filter caps, and assume this is the case here.  The filter cap can has a 2000uf @20 volts, a 100uf @ 20 volts and a 1000uf @ 20 volts.  Would the can be negative on this like on a tube chassis?  And am I on the right track thinking the hum not controlled by the volume control would be a leaky filter cap?  The thing works fairly well, it just hums.  Thanks for your time.

Visit us at "classichificare.com"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone model 6092 console stereo   Silvertone model 6092 console stereo I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silvertone model 6092 console stereo
Page 1 of 1