ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

A Way To Save On Auto Parts

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

A Way To Save On Auto Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2020, 11:42 am

I checked the CCTV recordings yesterday afternoon.  It showed the UPS van pulling up slowly to my driveway, then leaving.  then coming back to the cul de sac, slowing and stopping at my neighbor's driveway, then leaving again.  Then it drove around the court once more and left.  I went to the amazon site and tracked the shipment.  it said "driver attempted delivery".  So I found UPS's number and called their tracking service.  after much hemming and hawing, they said the driver delivered it to a CVS pharmacy 5 miles away.  I went there this morning to get the shipment.  There was a spindly lady working the counter and she went to get them.  2 boxes containing 2 each strut and coil spring assemblies.  That wasted her go power for the day.  Thank goodness for free shipping.

Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2020, 12:31 pm

I have heard advertising for "RockAuto" parts on our North State Public Radio station. These ads always boast of the superiority of the advertiser's products or services. Must cost them a lot hence the higher prices.
Rod
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2020, 10:51 am

Checked Amazon tracking this morning.  The strut assemblies are out for delivery.  I also, just for fun looked up the assemblies on RockAuto's site.  Their price was over $50 higher.

Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2020, 4:38 pm

I probably have but will give it a try again. By the way, I hate that multi-function "wobble" gadget on the radios these days.
Rod
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2020, 2:03 pm

Have you tried pushing the volume control in?

Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2020, 7:49 pm

Not China? I heard of Detroit Axle from looking for replacement CV axles for my old Mercury. I still don't like the Pioneer radio in the Toyota. Can't even figure out how to turn it off as there doesn't seem to be a simple on-off switch. I don't think a radio needs to have a computer hooked to it. I did take a look at a few how-to videos on youtube as suggested but that is as far as I have got with it. Beyond that, I have taken to turning down the volume to "0" when I want it "off". 
WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2020, 7:26 pm

I've finally figured out how to play my USB flash drives through the sound system in the car.  It has a nice amplified sound system with a rear subwoofer and the audio is so much better than feeding it with bluetooth.  It's great to have quality music again.  I've also ordered a set of strut assemblies for it as well, with the weather starting to become nearly tolerable enough to work in.  They will come from Amazon made by another company I'd not heard of before, Detroit Axle which surprisingly enough is located in Michigan and not you know where. Very Happy

19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2020, 12:20 pm

I would go to youtube to see if there is a tutorial on car stereos for your year, make and model.  I'm constantly surprised by the number of useful videos on all aspects of a car or truck.  I would imagine it is a DIN standard chassis.

Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2020, 12:07 pm

Back on June 1st I bought my cousin's old 1999 Toyota Camry Solara. She had had Best Buy install a Pioneer aftermarket radio in the car. I would like to get an original factory radio for it. There are quite a few for sale on ebay but choosing the right one to fit the car is the problem. I need to remove the current radio in order to see what was done back in there when the factory radio was replaced. The trim piece around the console will have to come off before I could gain access to the screws that hold the radio in place.
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2020, 10:37 am

In my area, online ordering is the preferred if not only way to get any specialty items.  The only chain stores around here are Walmart Lowes and Home depot.  For me, The USPS is the best of the carriers, even with it's wrinkles.  I am looking for a replacement radio system for the car and there are no places nearby to find one.  I've seen that Amazon is eyeing a large warehouse/distribution facility left vacant 6 years ago by J C Penney and Sears.  I just wonder how fast I would get an order then.  Right now, it is next day service with Amazon handling the delivery.

Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2020, 7:37 am

While I haven't haven't been ordering any auto parts lately I have been thinking about cutting out any more online ordering of radio or computer parts from sellers that use postal services for delivery (worldwide). There have been too many delays and misdirections of my packages. Tracking information has been perfunctory and vague. Mostly it has not been helpful. Rescheduling of my repair projects has been an ongoing headache here. By the way, that Merit Transformer catalog and substitution guide did show up here four days later after my previous posting back on July 17th. At least it arrived in good condition. Good luck with your purchases.
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2020, 6:45 pm

I replaced the headlight switch, the headlamps, changed the oil and filter and found a nest built atop the engine beneath the intake manifold.  I used grabber to remove the biggest parts a bit at a time, then finished it off with my leaf blower.

Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2020, 2:53 pm

I too have seen my mail go through the same scenario.

I am getting too old to do my own repairs. Thats one reason I bought a Toyota, in 2014, It was second hand with only 13,000 miles at a dealership. Mine is garaged and drive about 8,000 miles a year. According to Consumer Reports it was one that have excellent reliability. First foreign car I owned. If the electronic computer quit working it would cost over $1,000. Also lost a key and the dealership wanted around $400. I was browsing the internet and found there are a number of Locksmiths that also replicate electronic Keys. So for less than $200 I was able to avoid the Dealership lol!

The cars from the 60s-70s were ones yo could repair yourself. I remember both using PEP Boys and looking at the J.C. Whitney catalog for cheaper parts.

Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2020, 2:42 pm

Well, the headlight multifunction switch failed.  The auto parts store would've had to order a aftermarket mfr. switch for $88.  Found a Motorcraft one on Ebay for $37.  It has come with the same shipping runaround, minus the trip to Griffin.

19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2020, 11:38 am

The bulbs made it safe and sound.  The Ford dealership said I needed a tune up and they could set me up for $400.  Now to price plugs, wires and a coil pack, then the special plug socket.  I think I can beat that price.  It's handy having the shop manuals for it on CD/ROM.

Rod Clay
Technician
Technician
Rod Clay

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2020, 3:42 pm

I have been having similar problems for the past 4 months now and it continues into this month as well. A recent purchase of mine (mailed June 10th) headed East from Bethlehem, PA to the same Jersey City, NJ Distribution Center and it appears to be stuck there. The package contains a 1965-1966 Merit Transformer catalog and substitution guide that was sent by Media Mail (150 pages). I live in Oroville, California (95966) and it was due to be delivered today. I am guessing it will take another 7 days to get here now. The next 6 months looks to be bad for us and the Post Office.
73, Rod  WB6FBF
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2020, 2:41 pm

It's been a while since having any problems with the shipping.  This one was so special, I thought I'd share it.

July 16, 2020, 4:52 pm
Arrived at Post Office
JONESBORO, GA 30236 
Your item arrived at the Post Office at 4:52 pm on July 16, 2020 in JONESBORO, GA 30236.

July 16, 2020, 4:28 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
GRIFFIN, GA 30223 

July 16, 2020, 3:41 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
ATLANTA GA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

July 16, 2020, 1:27 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
ATLANTA GA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

July 15, 2020, 9:38 pm
ATLANTA GA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

July 15, 2020, 3:42 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
ATLANTA GA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

July 15, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility

July 14, 2020, 7:52 am
Departed USPS Facility
ATLANTA, GA 30354 

July 14, 2020, 6:00 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
ATLANTA, GA 30354 

July 13, 2020, 10:55 am
JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

July 12, 2020, 8:29 pm
JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

July 12, 2020, 7:15 pm
TRENTON NJ DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

July 11, 2020, 10:38 pm
TRENTON NJ DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

July 11, 2020, 6:11 pm
Departed Post Office
COATESVILLE, PA 19320 

July 11, 2020, 11:52 am
USPS picked up item
COATESVILLE, PA 19320 

July 11, 2020, 6:23 am
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
COATESVILLE, PA 19320 

19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2020, 11:59 am

Knowing I'll eventually be needing new bulbs for my headlights, i did a search on Ebay for them.  I use Sylvania Silverstar Ultras and looked up the price at my favorite auto parts store for comparison. $55.00/pr.  Found a seller with them for $30/pr.  They had a make offer provision and I offered $25 and they accepted.  They came to $27 with tax.  Now I have a set ready to go.  There are a few more failure prone parts I want to get as well.  It's easier to get a better price with one's back away from the wall.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Way To Save On Auto Parts   A Way To Save On Auto Parts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Way To Save On Auto Parts
Page 1 of 1